How to: Skinny-fat to fit & lean? Help a girl out!

Options
Hey all,

I definitely fit into the skinny-fat category. I'm a petite gal, at 5'3 and 117lb. Most of the fat is stored in my upper arms and tummy, which is a bummer when I want to wear anything sleeveless.

I'm really trying to get in shape for a wedding in October, and recently have been eating EXTREMELY clean, but also at a DEFICIT of 300-400 cals. Planning on trying lifting at the gym as well as strength training at home with body weight & dumbbells. But something's been bugging me...I don't know the correct way to approach this!! On male bodybuilding forums there's always talk of bulking/cutting, and so I'm wondering if any gals out there have done something similar? I know nothing about fitness, so I would uberly appreciate any tips on how to achieve a healthy, sexy body!

Finally: Another concern, when I initially start lifting, will the extra muscle mass under the fat layer make me look even bigger? Kind of counter intuitive. I think I would just end up getting really discouraged.

Thank you!
xoxo
Jessica

Replies

• Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would love to get replies on this as well because I feel the same exact way! So frustrating!
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Isn't it?! I have no clue whether to lose fat first through diet, start building muscle even with the fat still attached, or both!
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hay girl haaaay :)

I'm in the same boat as you, in terms of body type.. "skinny-fat". I'm 5'4 and around 130-something", so I'm looking to lean up too.

Over the past year or so I've done a LOT of reading on bodybuilding and fitness forums. The main difference between bulking and cutting is the amount of calories you consume. Bulking = More calories (generally 200 - 300 more per day) in order to gain muscle/size. Cutting = Less calories (200 - 300 less per day) in order to lose fat. Those calories are generally cut out with a focus on less carbs).

Diet is hugely important in fat loss (abs are made in the kitchen!), but the strength training is what will give you the lean muscle and sexy curves!

As a beginner though you don't really need to worry about bulking. You're already eating at a deficit for cutting, and when you introduce your body to lifting you'll begin to build some muscle and lose some fat. You won't look extra big or anything, because as you continue strength training your bodyfat will slowly decrease and reveal lean muscle behind it. Hope this helps! :)
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Hey!
    Thank you for replying and sharing :) love to know that so many of us are in this together! Do you think body weight strength training & 10lb dumbbells at home will be enough? I don't usually have enough time to drive all the way to the nearest gym and back! I'm definitely open to investing in some other equipment if necessary too though!

xoxo
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Actually u won't be getting any muscles on the deficit of calories. The main purpose to lift while shredding fat is to preserve remaining muscle mass and being stronger.

10lb dumbbell are ok at the start IF it's challenging weight for u. U should aim for the weight aprox like if u can't make more than 15 repetitions with it. And one should add weight all the time as soon as ur body find previous weight too easy.

Ah and protein. Have at least 1 g per lean body mass.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't shoot for a calorie deficit because you dont need to lose weight, you want to lose fat. I lowered my body fat percentage and started forming abs/muscle by eating more, lifting weights, and minimal cardio. At least this worked for me.
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Bingo! losing fat over weight is definitely my objective - I've got a really petite frame, so any excess fat is really quite visible. I suspect my body fat percentage is on the higher side anyways. Would you recommend a caloric intake @ maintenance level? I'm doing 30min+ strength workouts with body weight pretty much every day.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Bingo! losing fat over weight is definitely my objective - I've got a really petite frame, so any excess fat is really quite visible. I suspect my body fat percentage is on the higher side anyways. Would you recommend a caloric intake @ maintenance level? I'm doing 30min+ strength workouts with body weight pretty much every day.

Try looking at your nutrition goals in terms of the protein to carb/fat ratios. This will help you to keep your body mass but hopefully help you become lean muscle. You can also think about trying pilates. With your frame "bulking up" might be a little aggressive. Pilates has some resistance training in it, but mostly body weight. It's a thought.

I used to be skinny fat, now that I'm older, that turned into some overweight-ness. :) I'm not huge by any means, but it's tougher to shed this in the later stages of life. I've bulked as well, which doesn't help losing weight, but I'd like to lose some inches. Good luck with firming and toning up! :D
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. Get .8 grams of protein per pound you weigh. (117 x .8 = 94 grams per day). Lift heavy things or get a good body weight resistance training routine. (Nerd Fitness online has one free).
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Beginning to put together a better plan for getting in shape. Out of curiosity, how long do you think it will take to achieve results?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Beginning to put together a better plan for getting in shape. Out of curiosity, how long do you think it will take to achieve results?
    until it does. There's no way of us being able to give you a number.

It'll happen when it does. Put in the work, get the results. They'll happen when they do.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My best tip would be to get onto a PT who has certified knowledge about nutrition also and organise a few sessions to organise a training plan whereby you're shown how to use the equipment or use the right technique/form when doing body weight exercises as well as a nutrition plan because I believe there is a special formula for each individual in order to continue losing body fat and maintain/get more muscle definition, but if you're not eating right pre workout and post workout, as well as all day, you will not get the results you're after. Just my little opinion :)
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Loving the stories, thanks a bunch for sharing! This has already been a lifestyle change (I'm spending so much more time in the kitchen now!) so let's just see where this path goes :)
  • jessicaliujiexin
    Options
    Hey girl! Thanks for replying :) speaking of pre and post workout meals, what are some tips you come give? I spend 40 mins 6 days of the week focusing mainly on strength training (15% cardio) with body weight and a couple dumbbells. It's definitely too early to see results, but I would love to hear about your experience and learn something new!