Ugh! I'm so snacky!!

Options
Sweets are definitely my downfall, but it doesn't even matter! I just want to snack, snack, SNACK! And I'm not talking binging. I just have this desire to constantly be picking at something, whether I'm hungry or not. Andyes, I've changed out most of the contents in my pantry for healthier choices, but you can still blow your calories on healthy food. Plus, there are times when I just want junk, no matter how many healthy choices I have available. And I'll drive to the store to get the junk, if it's not at home. How can I stop being so snacky? Help!

Replies

• Glossysweets
    Options
    Well honestly if you are wanting to snack snack snack even though you are not even hungry - then you are bored. You need to find something to do that takes all your attention. Do a hobby. Play an instrument. Play a video game. Go do something physical. Avoid things like tv shows, movies, sometimes even reading - that stuff can be great but doesn't really engage you enough to help you keep your mind off the snacks. I've had these issues as well so I downloaded some computer games. I have made myself learn to play the piano (well still learning).

I give you kudos for trying to change all your snacks to healthy ones and it's okay to have something "not so good for you" sometimes. But you definitely sound like you need to engage yourself more into something. Something you enjoy and that keeps you busy.
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    I really think you're right. I do need to find something to occupy my time. I've been unemployed since December, so I think part of it is boredom, but some of it is depression, too.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Have you considering speaking to someone about the possible depression? That can be very tough to be unemployed and of course the worries that come along with that. At least try to make yourself feel happier by doing things you enjoy that make you feel good and keep you occupied, but I do suggest talking to someone.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Is it the act of chewing?
    Would gum help or is it more the hand to mouth motion that youre after?!?
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    Have you considering speaking to someone about the possible depression? That can be very tough to be unemployed and of course the worries that come along with that. At least try to make yourself feel happier by doing things you enjoy that make you feel good and keep you occupied, but I do suggest talking to someone.

I've looked into counseling, but the only kind of free counseling I could get is kind of far away and gas, of course, is expensive, especially if you're unemployed. Maybe there is a hotline I could call that's free?
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    Is it the act of chewing?
    Would gum help or is it more the hand to mouth motion that youre after?!?

I think it may be a combination of both, but the hand tomouth motion is definitely a big part of it, as an ex-smoker. I do chew gum, and it helps sometimes, but not all of the time.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging your food everyday, and weigh out servings and learn about calories and protein. It takes time! Love and forgive yourself.
    I shocked myself by turning down ice cream as a snack. I saw the calories and just knew I'd eat the whole pint. However, I did eat way too many cups of movie popcorn (and my daughter has to have the butter-yuk) but I ate more than my share.
    Be philosophical about it. Just log whatever you eat, and trust the process. We're here! We're no different than you!
    Live and learn and don't give up!
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    That's what I keep telling myself. I fail sometimes, but I keep getting up and dusting myself off and trying again.