Why can't I get 12 servings out of my ice cream container?

Options
Tuliper1
Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
Ok. So I've been noticing that when I take my treats home from the store, and then portion them into individual servings, I can't help but notice that there are nowhere near the number of servings in the package as the label says. Tonight I brought home my Edy's Slow Churned Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, I carefully measured divided it into 8 little 1/2 cup containers (I know to fill them only to a certain line, which I've double-checked by filling a 1/2 cup measuring cup with water, and pouring the water into the 1/2 cup container). Problem is, the Edy's label says it should have 12 servings in the package!

I poured four cups of water back into the empty ice cream container, since I thought, "four cups of Ice cream is all I got out of here!" Behold, the container actually does hold six cups according to my water test -- which means 12 - 1/2 cup servings, right?! The ice cream must compact as I measure it. I've heard of the manufacturer incorporating air into the ice cream to make it fluffier/less fattening, but I've only really noticed it recently.

Same thing with Skinny Pop/Boom Chicka Pop. The package *says* there's much more in there than I actually get out of it. There must be many other packaged foods like this.

For now, I'm tracking each 1/2 cup serving of ice cream as 1 1/2 servings, so I'm accounting for all the calories.

Do you think weighing these foods would prove more accurate?

I'll have to try it.

Has anyone else noticed this "number of servings" problem and been bothered by it? It really must affect how much we think we're eating!

Replies