How Much Weight Can You Lose?

Options
Hey guys, I'm going on a cruise in March, and I was wondering how much weight it's possible to lose in that amount of time. I'm 164 right now and trying to get down to 130 or below. Do you think I could lose it by Christmas? I'd love to buy some new clothes for the cruise!

Also, if you have any tips for not gaining a bunch of weight on a 5-day cruise, I would be happy to hear it!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you stick to a reasonable weight loss plan then it shouldn't be a problem to lose 34 lbs. by March.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Vacations are meant to be enjoyed so relax and have fun. The cruise ship has a fitness center so take advantage of it and get some exercise in to offset any over eating. Unless you planned to stay inside of your cabin the entire time then you will get in plenty of walking. If you gain any weight, much of it will be water weight due to the sodium. Don't stress over it, enjoy and deal with any weight issues when you get home.
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds doable by March. Possibly by January. Christmas is pushing it, I think. No experience with cruises, so can't help you there. Have fun though. :)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The standard formula is 15 calories per pound to maintain.

A calorie deficit of 3500 = 1 pound of weight loss.

To lose 1 pound per week, consume 500 calories less than your maintenance number per day (500 x 7 days = 3500). To shed 2 lbs. per week, eat 1000 calories per day less than maintenance number. For a 3 pound per week weight loss, eat 1500 calories per day less than the maintenance number.

Weigh yourself daily so that you will be able to adjust the maintenance number as your weight drops.

On cruise, consume your maintenance calories in order to maintain and not gain weight, unless you decide to continue to follow a weight loss diet while on cruise.