Pilates

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here does pilates as their main form of exercise? I'm thinking of adding some to my routine and would love to hear the pros and cons!

Replies

• Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes I do this, along with lifting. It's been a great addition to my routine.

I really like it. I go to a studio with reformers. I can't say much about floor classes and videos, though.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I used classical Pilates mat sequence as my main form of exercise when I was younger; it gave me pretty nice results and I still do it occasionally when I feel like I need some core work or when I can't do my normal activities. It's not a big calorie burner, but you can do it anywhere and it's scalable to your ability. There are more comprehensive body weight programs out there; e.g., Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, and the ones on Nerd Fitness.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates, kept my core strong for years. I used to use a VHS tape (dating I know) from Moira Merrithew ,Stott Pilates, and any low back pain I had went away after a while. I also developed a strong back and stomach. Even when I gained weight the last 5 years I kept doing it so that although I had fat over the muscles, they still stayed relatively strong. I laughed when I was struggling with a new DVD but when they went to abs, I was like "got this!". : )
    I think you have to be careful to get good instructors, in person or DVD and do it slowly, especially at first. I had one class with a beginner instructor who was not doing it well and then decided to use a DVD from a trusted one.

Good luck, no matter what, done alone or as a compliment to other things, I feel it is worth trying.