Home Workouts for a BEGINNER!

Hey all, its me again :)
Well like I said before I am new to this! I've been a me ever for a while but I haven't fully utilized all the perks.
So I am looking for some home workouts or a good workout DVD for a beginner. I am very overweight so I don't know if I am ready for the p90 or insanity, and I am not sure of others out there. Any tips will be much appreciated. And all motivation is welcome!!
Thanks guys!

Replies

• Davidhbx
    Davidhbx Posts: 13
    Before you start, WARM UP ....After the warm up, here is exactly what you need to do:

And so you can write it down, here is the write up for the exercise routine.

20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 walking lunges
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
    15 second plank
    30 Jumping Jacks

After you’ve completed your workout, make sure you stretch. All of your muscles have been contracted from lifting and need to be stretched back out and rebuilt.

For either the body weight squats or lunges, if you can’t do them properly yet, it’s okay to put your hand on a support to keep your balance.

For the body weight squats, think of it like sitting back into a chair. If you can sit down onto a chair, and then stand immediately right back up without having to lean forward, you are in balance.

For the lunges, keep your eyes ahead and your upper body completely vertical. I had a slight bend at times in the video due to trying to exercise and explain at the same time.

I used a milk jug for my dumbbell, but you can use whatever is heavy enough for you. Find something that is challenging to lift 10 times in a row.

Do this routine 2-3 times a week, but never on consecutive days. You don’t build muscle when you’re exercising, you build muscle when you’re resting. Along with this routine, you need to make sure you’re eating properly! A good workout and crappy diet will not get you anywhere. Lots of real foods (fruits, vegetables, lean meat, nuts, etc.). Eat natural, whole foods whenever possible, and leave the soda, candy, and junk food out of your system. Your diet is at least 80% of your success or failure.
  • achampan
    achampan Posts: 5 Member
    Hey :) I have an accountability group (done through Facebook) beginning August 25th and can help get you paired up with an at home workout that will help you meet your goals/wants/needs. If you have any interest in learning more about the group feel free to add me here on MFP and/or send me a message and we can chat :)
  • idordor
    idordor Posts: 1
    If you already own a game console (Wii, Xbox Kinect) I would recommend dancing/work out games such as
    Wii Fit (easy) - If you enjoy playing games instead of exercising
    Just Dance 1-4 (easy-medium intensity) - Super fun!
    Zumba (medium intensity) - More intense dance move

DVD work out
    Shaun T - Rockin Body (medium intensity) - Fun!
    Shaun T - Hip Hop Abs (medium intensity) - I lost interest
    Zumba (medium intensity) ** - easy to learn if you play enough just dance
    Exhilarate
    Incredible result - the riser looks like a gimmick
    30 Day Shred (high intensity) - Lost interest
    Shaun T - T-25 (high intensity) **
    Shaun T - Insanity (high intensity)

** I recommend purchasing

The problems I have with working out in general is I get bored doing the same exercise over, over again.

I have problems starting Insanity and 30 Day Shred because after the first work out I'm so tired and out of breath that I don't want to do it again. Starting out slow with Wii's Just Dance, Zumba, and pacing myself doing T-25 really helped me enjoy exercising.
    My mom would even do Zumba with me.

What I like about T-25:
    - The workout is 25 mins not including cool down
    - Tanya is there to show modification if you are not able to complete the full work out
    - Shaun T is an amazing instructor. He talks in the beat of the music
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Here's what helped the last time I had to lose weight; I lost thirty pounds over the course of a few months and kept it off for years. I ate maybe 100-200 fewer calories along with my physical activity.

It was really simple - I just made my every day activities a bit more active. That's all. If I was putting away laundry, I would fold one piece and then put it away, repeating for each piece, rather than fold it all and just walk once to put it away.

If I did dishes, I stepped back and forth. If I went to the store, I parked at the far end of the parking lot. If I sat down, I played music and tapped my feet or swayed to music.

Just increasing my movement level that little bit made a big difference, but it didn't really take that much more time than usual, and didn't feel so much like I was forcing myself to 'work out,' you know?

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it did well for me, and even WITH a work out, can be of use to help a little.