PLATEAU!! Help!!!

Options
Hey there!! So since the first of September I have lost 20-22 pounds (before MFP). I did it the right way through eating right and staying active and exercising. It came of pretty steadily and I was very pleased. But the scales have not moved for me in about 3 weeks even though I have consistently stayed under my calorie goal and exercised. I guess this is that wonderful little thing called a plateau. :o) I would like to lose 15-20 more pounds, but the way I'm feeling right now, I would be thrilled to even lose ten. It would put me in my healthy weight range and I would be very happy. Has this happened to any of you all?? I'm 5'8 and sitting at 172-174. I know I have more to lose. If this has happened to you and you overcame it, can you give me any tips or ideas? I'm stuck and starting to get VERY discouraged. I just need to start losing again before I fall off the wagon. Any tips or support will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!!
Kristen :o)

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I just got over a plateau. I was losing consistently since January and once I had lost 47 pounds I got stuck, even though I was exercising and eating below my calories. After 3 weeks of being stuck I upped by calories. I gained 1.5 pounds the first week I started to eat more, (I was pissed) but the next week I lost the 1.5 I gained plus another 2 more.

If you're eating well below your calories, I'd suggest to eat a bit more. You may go up one week like I did, but if you continue to eat healthy and stay active the numbers will start to go down again.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I took a break. 1 week. no excercise, ate healthy. that helped me.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I plateau every couple of months for about 3 weeks at a time, but it always starts coming off again. When I hit the 3rd week , I start mixing things up a little - couple of days below goal, couple of days closer to maintenance. And I try to step up the amount of water I drink. It seems to work for me every time.

C
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When you start losing weight, you can lose it at a faster rate than when you get closer to your goal. I suggest scaling back your rate of weight loss in MFP by even a 1/2 pound per week. This will add more calories back for you to eat and you should start losing again. Also, try to vary up your workouts in routine and intensity. Sometimes our body gets too comfortable and needs to be shocked again with a more intense or longer duration of workout.

Both of those things worked for me. Hope they work for you!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This happens to lots of people and everyone has different advice. I have not (yet) stopped losing but I did go through weeks at .4 to .7 lost. I increased and changed up my exercise and especially watched sodium on my diary. Seems the weeks I go up to or slightly over the recommended MFP in sodium were the weeks I lost very little. I also zig zag my calories by a couple hundred - eating more or less of my exercise calories - still staying within my calorie goal. Try to get good nutrition from your calories too - fats (good), carbs and protein in every meal. It will happen - you are doing GREAT!
  • lukullus
    Options
    hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I've lost 28 in the last 4 months but the last three weeks have been stuck at the same weight. I'm a little discouraged but am not giving up. I'm glad you made this topic as I am looking for the same information.

Thanks everyone for the tips, will see what I can do to get this ball rolling again.
  • brandnewgirl
    Options
    I would switch up my workout daily to always keep my body guessing!
    good luck
  • andydude27
    andydude27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just over a plateau this past week. Mine had lasted about 3 weeks. I found the article below to be particularly useful.

http://www.diet-blog.com/06/5_ways_to_break_a_weight_loss_plateau.php
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I will definitely try them. I'm desperate! Haha. I was hoping that eating more yesterday for Thanksgiving than i usually do would jump start my body and I'd start losing again. We'll see! Thanks again!
    Kristen
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What I do when I get stuck is I take a break for a couple of days and eat more than my suggested calories. When I end the break, I then go to the opposite extreme and increase my exercise and go under my suggested calorie intake, even 1000 calories under. The deficit has to come mostly from exercise and not starving myself.

For me it works every time but it is a little crazy. What I'm doing is calorie cycling:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_3_18/ai_83343022/

I don't obsess with the science or the specifics but rather focus on what works for me. You'll need to experiment (safely) and find what works for you. I don't recommend calorie cycling on a regular basis but others swear by it.