Biggest Loser: How on earth do they do it?

Options
So I just started watching that show, and I dont get it...
How on earth do they lose that much weight a week??
Is it all fake?

I just does not make sense to me!!

Replies

• jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    They're on very strict diets and work out in the gym for HOURS each day.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    i lost 80 lbs in 11 weeks :-)
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    They have doctors on the ranch I believe and also are eating a very strict and more than likely healthy diet. Considering how they ate and exercised before I totally believe it. And all that water.. and I've heard they work out for 8 hours a day.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you're 500 pounds and are used to a diet of 3,000 calories a day and go on a calorie restricted diet you will lose weight. Then add in four hours of brutal exercise you're going to lose even more weight. The farther away from your goal or normal earthling weight you are the more potential pounds you can lose.
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    They work out for 4-6 hours a DAY of high intensity workouts. They are on a very calorie restricted diet. They go against doctors orders, and the trainers still push them. And they dehydrate themselves before weigh ins. You can read articles on former contestants explaining just exactly HOW they lost weight. It's not something I'd wanna do :/
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Extremely strict diets and 6-8 hours at the gym. Personal trainers and nutritionists.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off at first, especially when you're on a strict diet/exercise program like they are (monitored 24/7).
    The thing is, it's not really that healthy, since they're pushing their body's to limits and once they've lost the weight they have a lifetime of bad habits to break on their own, they have to try to keep up with a healthier lifestyle or their body's will bounce right back to where they were before, and they have mass amounts of loose skin to contend with.

I don't know about you, but I really do not have the money for cosmetic surgeries, so I'm doing this the old fashioned way: Make a Lifestyle Change, eat healthy, balanced meals several times per day, and exercise at least 6 times per week. I've only lost 20lbs this year, but everyone, including my BIL & Sisters who are all PFT's, think I've lost way more because I've toned and firmed (I can wear mini-skirts again without the cottage cheese hanging off my thighs :laugh: )
  • BlessedMystique
    BlessedMystique Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    6 hours in the gym, daily??
    So my hour and a half a day workout at home daily
    and hour and a half in the gym 3 times a week wont cut it, huh? LOL

Wow...
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Also more than a week passes between episodes. MoRE LIKE 10 - 14 DAYS. iT IS A FACT.
  • edorice
    Options
    They have far more to lose than you or me. They need to get it off quickly for their health. With each day that their organs are crowded out by fat they are at risk of death.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Even for 2 weeks 10 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. This makes me question the 1-2 pound per week suggested weight loss that most experts espouse.

Is it possible a person can lose more than 2 pounds per week safely? I'm talking about after the initial water weight that a dieter typically loses.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump:laugh:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    A person can lose more than 2 lbs per week; however, not safely. I have lost mass amounts of weight in a very short time before (about 10years ago) and I was not in good shape (I mean health-wise). My eyes were "dead" they didn't shine or sparkle, my skin was bland & sickly looking and my hair was stringy & falling out. Yea, I won't ever go there again!
  • Charlie001
    Options
    At the beginning I lost 10 lbs evey two weeks for 6 weeks. Then 5 lbs every two weeks for 4 weeks, then 1 to 2 pounds a week for a few weeks, now if I can drop 3 pounds in a month I am lucky. You lose on a diminishing return trend.
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Even for 2 weeks 10 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. This makes me question the 1-2 pound per week suggested weight loss that most experts espouse.

Is it possible a person can lose more than 2 pounds per week safely? I'm talking about after the initial water weight that a dieter typically loses.

see now i dont see why not, i've only been eating healthy and doing exercise 3 or so times a week max 45 mins a time and have been loosing 3lbs+ a week when i first started i was loosing 5-7lbs per week.

i am definately healthy (more so now)
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure how they do it on BL but, I do know that if you burn enough calories and eat enought o make up for them and still end up with a big enough deficit, you can do it.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    I've posted this on here before, but I once lost 10 stone (140lbs) in just under six months. I was 'surviving' (it wasn't living) on 600 cals a day and exercising at least 3 hours a day.

I didn't 'educate' myself during this time and I didn't listen to anyone else who thought I was looking worse rather than better, while on some days I was feeling great, on other days I had crippling back pain and felt sick, eventually I got the shakes badly and my flatmate forced me to eat more. Obviously I didn't have any supervision during this time and didn't give myself a foundation for what I did 'after' I reached the weight I was heading for, so it all piled back on.

Later when speaking to a doc I was told I probably had dangerously low blood sugar and was lucky I didn't do permanent damage to my joints or give myself Kidney/liver problems, I literally almost killed myself.

if you watch Biggest loser you'll notice some of the folks there have no end of problems with what they are doing, back and knees being the most obvious. It's really something you shouldn't ever do without a lot of supervision which they have. Plus they have the entire day to focus on diet and exercise, which most normal people don't :) put in a ranch with nothing to do other than work out and learn about eating right I expect most of us would get similar results.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Although I, myself, find the show to be very motivating... it gets me to the gym... I understand that for everyday people, it's not very realistic or healthy long-term. We're not isolated on a ranch somewhere, so we have jobs and families as well as and temptations thrown our way on a daily basis. We don't have personal trainers one our cases for HOURS, so we do what we can, what we THINK is a good workout. It's like trying to follow a celebrity workout. We don't have personal chefs, so it will never happen.*LOL* However, I think the show is still good to watch, if only for motivating me to eat better and get my butt to the gym.*LOL*

Shannon
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For comparison, since I'm already pretty down on the scale but still want to lose body fat, I strive for an average of .5 pounds per week. Even if I don't get that, I'm still happy if I lose it the following week.

When I lose more than .5 pound, I usually end up with a loss of energy and lack of desire to workout, in other words, I'm over trained.
  • edorice
    Options