NHS very low calorie diet help

Options
I've been given a diet by my dietitian for twelve weeks, I was hoping people could help me find ways to makes this diet less of a strain, e.g. vegetable recipes i.e. soups/stews/roasted etc.

-Can add spices/herbs/stock
-1000 Calories max per day.
- 2 Fruit portions 50 calories max each
-Skimmed milk allowance = 1/2 pint
-2 Portions of veg [no potatoes] = 75 calories max
-No other foods allowed.

The diet:
Breakfast: 1 meal replacement + Tea/coffee with skimmed milk allowance

Mid-Morning: Tea/Coffee or low calorie drink

Lunch: Serving of salad/vegetables + 1 portion of fruit.

Mid-Afternoon: 1 meal replacement

Evening Meal: Serving of vegetables/ Salad

Bed-Time: 1 meal replacement.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Find a new dietician.
    With 65lbs to lose, there is no reason to eat that little.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    WOW, that seems like an awful small amount of food!!! What the heck is this for? I'd never last!!! :noway: GL!!!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Find a new dietician.

^^^^Agreed^^^^
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight for surgery or something?

I have been told by my dr to go on a 1200 cal diet (have about 40lbs to lose) but the reason he said so low was because I have massive medical issues that stop me losing weight. Are you sure he/she didn't tell you to have some form of protein etc?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Find a new dietician.

this!

did a doctor actually give you this as a diet plan to follow?
  • Meikakiri
    Meikakiri Posts: 44
    Options
    I was referred to them because my doctor was convinced I was stuffing my face because of my depression despite no evidence for and a lot against.
    I've had multiple blood tests to check thyroxine levels over the years all coming back normal.
    My new dietitian put me on this because he's found no issues with my diet at all to see if an even lower calorie rate will yield results [previous 1200 calories] and as documented evidence to my doctor that I'm not stuffing my face.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I was referred to them because my doctor was convinced I was stuffing my face because of my depression despite no evidence for and a lot against.
    I've had multiple blood tests to check thyroxine levels over the years all coming back normal.
    My new dietitian put me on this because he's found no issues with my diet at all to see if an even lower calorie rate will yield results [previous 1200 calories] and as documented evidence to my doctor that I'm not stuffing my face.

its pretty much impossible for you to not lose weight on 1200 cals if you are 65lbs overweight. what are your stats?
  • Meikakiri
    Options
    Find a new dietician.

this!

did a doctor actually give you this as a diet plan to follow?

I've been trying to lose weight for 8 years and all I do is gain more....My doctors have given up on me because:
    Diet diary given every appointment,
    I've been on their healthy eating course= no results
    Gym membership 3 times a week, use 1 hour+ sessions = no results
    Many Blood tests = no results
    Tried Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Fasting Diets, Low calorie, low meat, high protein, low carb = no results
    Orlistat = no results.
  • Meikakiri
    Options
    Could you explain what you mean by stats please?
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I doubt that this "dietitian" is truly a certified nutrition expert. Twelve weeks is a long time to subsist on such low calories. You simply won't be healthy.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Starvation diets generally don't work. You need fuel if you are exercising that much.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

Height, weight, age, activity level, etc.

1000 calories a day would make anyone depressed... doesn't sound great :(
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You should set up a camera in case you are eating in the midlde of the night while asleep.

There is no way you aren't losing weight on such low calories while also working out 3 hrs a week for 8 years.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

height, weight, age etc etc
  • Meikakiri
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight for surgery or something?

I have been told by my dr to go on a 1200 cal diet (have about 40lbs to lose) but the reason he said so low was because I have massive medical issues that stop me losing weight. Are you sure he/she didn't tell you to have some form of protein etc?

Nope everything in my first post is what I'm allowed and I was referred for bariatric surgery but told I wasn't heavy enough by my doctor to be considered at 17 St 2 lbs, no protein, no carbs, fats, sugars, except what exists already in the set meals.
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    You need to eat in order to lose weight. 1000 calories is way too low, 1200 is even debatable for a longer period of time. Find yourself a different nutricionist and try again.
  • Meikakiri
    Options

height, weight, age etc etc

Height: 5 foot 2 inches
    BMI: 43.9
    Weight: 109kg
    Activity: 30 minutes a day total aerobic and strength exercises, moderate activity rest of day.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do you use this site to log? If you weren't losing on the 1200 diet, you may have been eating more than you thought? If you weren't weighing EVERYTHING start doing it now and log every tiny morsel (I find if I have a few weeks not losing, I've been making too many trips to the Nutella jar or pinching crisps here and there and not logging it).

I don't see the issue with the 1000 cal diet if you're being supervised by your doctor, having regular blood tests etc. the easiest way to make the most of the diet would be to eat as 'clean' as possible (not something I do myself but if you've got that little to work with best to steer clear of empty calories).

First, I would try logging everything you were eating before and see if it's more than you thought as 1000 cals is going to be pretty miserable.
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    So what are the set meals? Can't be that much... :(
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What are the meal replacements, are they drinks or prepared dinners?