Strength training weight gain=good?

Options
I've been doing body weight exercises for 3-4 months now, as I wanted to try to "recomp". I am skinny-fat right now and would like to be fit. The exercises have been working great, I started out with pretty much no muscle so even a little bit helps. I have gained 3-4 pounds since starting this, and my measurements are the same as they were when I started. I guess what I'm wondering is, does it seem like I'm on the right track now? I don't think I've lost any fat but I know I have gained muscle. Will the fat gradually come off or will I need to cut calories again to make it go away? I'm on maintenance calories right now, and I do eat back my exercise calories.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would reduce your cals by 300-500 a day and see how that goes for another 4 weeks. Assuming you aren't bottoming out on cals.(already eating near 1200)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is 1540 so that is what I'm shooting for. Some days I eat up to 1800 though depending on how much I exercise. I worry that if I cut calories I will stop building muscle and I don't want to do that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance most of that 3-4 lbs is water weight because you are doing strength training. You aren't going to build significant muscle at maintenance, just like you won't lose significant fat. Recomp is a very long slow process & if you are ok with that then stay the course. But if you want to speed things along a little bit. I'd try a 4 week cut every now and then. You can always follow with a bulk cycle. They don't have to be long or very extreme either way.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm fine with slow, I guess I'm just not sure I'm doing it right. I'm liking the results so far. I guess I might try a small cut soon and maybe then I will be more happy with it.
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    gaining strength is more difficult than losing fat in my opinion. I wouldn't drop any calories if you are are getting stronger and you don't think you have put on any fat. the mirror can be a better judge than the scale. look yourself over in the mirror every few days and look for new fat that pops up. also pants are a good indicator. if your pants start getting tighter i would scale it down.