exercise induced headache

Options
So I just started working out again yesterday after not doing so for a few months. Yesterday and today after only a few sets of light stretching I had a sharp, throbbing headache at the base of my skull. I pushed through for another 20 minutes with some really simple exercises and now, 3 hrs later, still have an even worse stabbing, throbbing headache!!

Is this common? Is there a fix?? I'm not gonna let it stop me but it sure does make working out less enjoyable! :(

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you just happened to get a headache on the day you started working out. I'm not seeing how "light stretching" would lead to a headache.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the cause, but I used to get these very occasionally when I used to work out in the past, and would suggest dropping the workout there and then, as the workout only made it far worse in my case. In fact I would go so far as to say, I never workout when feeling bad in any way, as the continuity is more important to me rather than one dropped workout :)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I often get "exertion headaches" that are brought on by exercise or strenuous activity and made worse by heat or getting overheated. Tons of fluids helps. Learning where that boundary is was very important. But also, I worked with a Neurologist to find ways (medical and other) to deal with them. I'm not going to lie - it was a long chase to find something that helped but I got there and it's really changed my life. I'm not a doctor so I can't say that you have this particular situation, but I think it's worth looking into.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Were you breathing through your stretches? It seems odd to me too that light stretching would bring on a headache...but maybe your description doesn't tell the whole story...or maybe it's just a coincidence as another poster suggested.