Bananas after cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Bananas slow down your metabolism so be careful of how many you eat, if you're trying to lose weight.

Ummmm, nope, nope and more nope.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat because I tend to be starving after a workout. Especially if it's a day where I'm not just doing cardio, but strength too.
    Sure you finish you're workout and you're probably not hungry (depending on the type of effort you were putting in) but if 20-30 minutes later your tummy isn't grumbling, I don't understand.

Also, a lot of people work out right before/after a traditional meal time (ex. I tend to run in the morning, therefore I eat breakfast right after or hit the gym on the way home from work, then I need dinner).
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Bananas slow down your metabolism so be careful of how many you eat, if you're trying to lose weight.

Solid er ah terrible first post!

Bananas will not slow down your metabolism
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

What is this nonsense???
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Eat the banana. They don't put them out for runners after races for no good reason. Good vitamins and minerals in those babies.

Carbs and Potassium which helps to balance the electrolytes.
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Why do people eat right after they work out? This seems so counter productive to me... unless you are working out to earn the calories to eat something that actually tastes good.... I do that. Love the "is it worth the calories" questions. I didn't just walk 3 miles to have another celery stick guys. :P I walked 3 miles for a friggen bowl of chips.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    Post workout meals are a must!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Could you please provide some backup for this claim?? I'm sure someone told you this, or you read it "somewhere", but... *where* is the important part.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    People's elaborate after workout meals always make chuckle. Not that they're bad or anything they're just always so specific and even ritualistic. My after workout meals always seem to be a protein bar. Am I the only one who doesn't want to spend 15-20 minutes cooking right after I've worked out?

I can't even think about food for a good hour or two after working out.
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No. I drink a EAS protein drink and I am fine. Really how ridiculous these discussion can get. Ugh
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The OP is talking about cardio not strength training.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    People try to make this way too complicated.

I've eaten a banana every day for the past two years. And I've been on maintenance for for 18 months. I love bananas.
  • Maadssi
    Maadssi Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not on a specific "diet," I just like to watch my carbs since they're my favorite foods, really. Sugar and carbs get me into trouble!

Appreciate the responses!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    How does it slow down your metabolism?

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I like to have my banana ( with a lil peanut butter spread on it) BEFORE i do my cardio. the carbs and sugar are the fuel i need to get me thru.

Then i have eggs and or a protein shake AFTER