Replies

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Awesome link!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd come in and brag - I got my first one on Sunday :)

Going for 2 in a row now. Away to have a nosy at the link.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Nice!! I could do 2 chin-ups when I was working at them often but stopped for whatever reason (probably because they were hard). I'm considering starting to train for them specifically again.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning has a great series of progressions to build your way up to a pull up too. I think with a lot of the really tough bodyweight exercises like pull ups, a series of exercises to build your way up to it is probably best. Convict Conditioning seems to be the only source I've seen such a series of progression steps, but it's a bit heftily priced imo, even if the information would seem invaluable :)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! This is definitely a long-term goal for me.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've so far been able to get 1, and get to eye level on the second one, but that's it lol.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Fastest way to get more is to grease the groove.

Put a bar where you're going to pass it often and do 1 everytime you go by. Soon you'll be busting out a couple at a time multiple times a day. Varying grip widths and types is a valid option too - make it fun!

As a lift they respond well to a lot of volume and frequency.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Nice!! I could do 2 chin-ups when I was working at them often but stopped for whatever reason (probably because they were hard). I'm considering starting to train for them specifically again.

I got a pull up bar for my kitchen, (instead of just doing them as part of my workout) and am currently, 'greasing the groove' by means of every time I go in the kitchen I need to do a chin-up :laugh:

Best £10 investment ever. Good link btw, I've been holding my breath, valsalva style - going to try the girls tips next time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Put a bar where you're going to pass it often and do 1 everytime you go by. Soon you'll be busting out a couple at a time multiple times a day. Varying grip widths and types is a valid option too - make it fun!

Yup that's what I did...it's by the washer...go figure right...and I have to walk by it to get to the freezer or feed the dog...so I do try to remember to do them as I go by...at least once a day...I have managed to get 2 3/4 in so far...full extension of arms and 1.5 pull ups...those suckers are hard.

The only thing I forget is to breath...
  • jimmmer
    Options

Yup that's what I did...it's by the washer...go figure right...and I have to walk by it to get to the freezer or feed the dog...so I do try to remember to do them as I go by...at least once a day...I have managed to get 2 3/4 in so far...full extension of arms and 1.5 pull ups...those suckers are hard.

The only thing I forget is to breath...

I put mine in my bathroom doorway. Teeth cleaning, going to the toilet, washing, etc. Lots of daily trips...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning has a great series of progressions to build your way up to a pull up too. I think with a lot of the really tough bodyweight exercises like pull ups, a series of exercises to build your way up to it is probably best. Convict Conditioning seems to be the only source I've seen such a series of progression steps, but it's a bit heftily priced imo, even if the information would seem invaluable :)

It's $8 from Amazon for the Kindle.

*Note: you can get a Kindle app for your phone, or you can read it directly from Amazon on your computer.
  • icrushit
    Options

*Note: you can get a Kindle app for your phone, or you can read it directly from Amazon on your computer.

Ah, good to know, thanks. My comment mainly pertained to the expense of a physical copy, which was $40 from the publishers site, which just seemed a little excessive. I think I shall still try to hunt down a physical copy though, as even with a kindle, I would like a hard copy :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Ah, good to know, thanks. My comment mainly pertained to the expense of a physical copy, which was $40 from the publishers site, which just seemed a little excessive. I think I shall still try to hunt down a physical copy though, as even with a kindle, I would like a hard copy :)

http://www.textbookx.com/single_product.php?product_id=12357659368&action=buy&booktype=a&URL=http://www.textbookx.com/single_product.php?product_id=12357659368&action=buy&booktype=a&PubID=284433&AFFILIATE=cj
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I just had this conversation with a coworker. I used to run a bookstore for over a decade, and I still like the way a book feels, so I haven't gotten a Kindle yet.

On a more related note, I really like startbodyweight.com for bodyweight progressions.
  • icrushit
    Options

Thanks again for the link! :) It appears my cursory search was just that; cursory. I shall have a proper look and see if I can't find a reasonably priced copy shipped to Europe :)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Any tips for a big guy (besides lose more weight since I'm working on that already LOL)? I can do singles but can't seem to string together a set to save my life. The assisted machine seems useless. I was able to use it to wean myself to bodyweight dips but it isn't working for pull/chin ups..

The assisted pull up machine helped me a lot, i went from 0 to 9 in about 3 months although i have been stuck on 9 for ages, also did lat pulldowns

i started with 30kg assistance and did five sets increasing the assistance by 5kg each set, once i hit 10 on the first set i would start lower till i reached 5kg assistance to start, once i got to 10 of those i could do 3 bodyweight only ones
  • jimmmer
    Options

Any tips for a big guy (besides lose more weight since I'm working on that already LOL)? I can do singles but can't seem to string together a set to save my life. The assisted machine seems useless. I was able to use it to wean myself to bodyweight dips but it isn't working for pull/chin ups..

Grease the groove with lots of singles. Multiple times a day. You'll increase your neuromuscular efficiency for the movement without burning out.

You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll start doing multiples.

Once you can get 8-10 in a row, start adding weight and lower the reps.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Thanks again for the link! :) It appears my cursory search was just that; cursory. I shall have a proper look and see if I can't find a reasonably priced copy shipped to Europe :)

Good luck. I did a search on Bookfinder.com, which has been my go to for years and there just aren't that many affordably priced copies out there - you were right about that.

I just ordered the startbodyweight.com poster because the progressions on there seem to round out the holes in Convict Conditioning.

And I can't stress enough the ease of using CC on the Kindle/computer/phone. Where ever I am, I have at least one fully charged device that can access it without having to drag the book around. :)