How many calories???

Options
I am so confused about how many calories I need a day. I went to freedieting.com and used the calculator there and it calculated way more calories than what fitness pal allows me on a daily basis. Using that calculator I don't have to add in my exercise calories every day. I would rather say how much I exercise per week and then not have to worry about eating my exercise calories back. Is that ok? Will it still work? I guess I will just take the try and see approach. Any thoughts?

Replies

• LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Be conservative with your activity level, and if you know your body fat %, use the formula that allows you to plug it in. If you are overweight and use the default formula, it will overestimate your caloric needs. It will take into account your exercise and tell you how many calories a day to eat based on your activity level and desired weight loss rate. You will eat that amount every day and not fluctuate it based on workouts since it's already accounted for.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method which gives you your deficit to lose the weight you want and yes you are suppose to eat back exercise calories...

as for the other method TDEE...yes that includes exercise calories and you eat the same amount everyday regardless of activity...

If you are consistent with exercise go with TDEE but if not..use MFP method.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    It's a preference thing. Freedieting.com is you TDEE which includes exercise. This is easier for some because it's the same calories everyday. It can make it easier to plan out meals. MFP doesn't include exercise so it could be harder to plan meals around your calories. I have found that both work well as long as you keep in mind that MFP calories burns are very high so I either use a hrm or just let my Fitbit adjust calories.

If you would rather do tdee than do it. It's a personal choice I use tdee or the number you find on freedieting.com.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Holy crap! That's an awesome link. I've never seen all those links in one place. I'm just going to add this one...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Mainly just to bump this thread, so I can find your link again.
  • going2heaven87
    Options
    I always found it best when trying to lose weight to make your BMR the amount of calories you take in per day. Then any calories you burn by walking around, physical activity ect is pure weight loss. As you lose, reassess your BMR and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.