Is walking just as good as running?

Options
2»

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'd say walking is better than running because you won't end up as one of those annoying people that talks about Mud Runs or Color Runs every 5 minutes at random.

Haha that's hilarious, I have some people like that at my work.

I'd say whatever you'll most likely do is best. If you really don't like running then just walk, it's a lot easier to do and easier on your joints too. But if you enjoy it and want to burn more calories then go for it. Bottom line is to eat healthy in a deficit and the exercise will just help you speed up the process of losing weight and make you feel better in the meantime.

Am I too late to talk about my tough color mudder covered in butter santa clause 5k?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is just as good as running. I couldn't run if my life depended on it. Tried many times but ended up with injuries. Became a speed walker instead. Really worked for me, BUT be prepared for plateaus: when that happens you need to switch to high incline walking on a treadmill, an elliptical (with resistance intervals), and/or trail hiking.

Walking is a great way to exercise, but you do have to increase speed and inclines in order to keep seeing results.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'd say walking is better than running because you won't end up as one of those annoying people that talks about Mud Runs or Color Runs every 5 minutes at random.

Haha that's hilarious, I have some people like that at my work.

I'd say whatever you'll most likely do is best. If you really don't like running then just walk, it's a lot easier to do and easier on your joints too. But if you enjoy it and want to burn more calories then go for it. Bottom line is to eat healthy in a deficit and the exercise will just help you speed up the process of losing weight and make you feel better in the meantime.

Am I too late to talk about my tough color mudder covered in butter santa clause 5k?

Haha nope! But if you start talking about it every 5 minutes that's another story haha!