UGH HEAT AND RUNNING

Options
I started C25K (again) last week did good. now this week it is so hot outside. I get up at 5 to go to work so I cant go before work (Still too dark at 430). I work till 3 come home to 18 month old twins in the dead of heat. They are up till 8ish and my husband isn't home till 9ish, by then I am exhausted. What would you suggest to keep cool on runs for me and the babies as I take them in the stroller. In a couple weeks I will be going to the gym again at lunch time but until then outside is my only option. TIA

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    How hot is it where you are? If it's too hot you can't take the babies out in it and that either means waiting until husband comes home and fighting through being tired, or waiting until the weather cools...unless you have a super duper awesome sun blocking type stroller that I've seen some moms use.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Can you run trails somewhere? Trails that aren't too bumpy I guess? Our local park trail has enough tree cover in most areas to feel at least 10 degrees cooler than the actual temperature.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you have anywhere cool you can go, like a mall? You could push them at a pretty fast clip and still get your heart rate up and target distance done.

Otherwise, I drink coffee before I workout in the evenings and that helps motivate. But I'm not a mom of twins!! Good luck.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I agree! I usually run from about September to April, so I'm used to running in the snowy, cold or icy conditions. This year, however, I'm running in the heat and I find it close to impossible. I think it's all about conditioning. Your run best in the conditions you have trained it. If you go slow and follow the schedule (even repeating a run now and then because it is hard!) , I think you may learn to run in the heat. Take lots of water and wet yourself down with it, wear a hat, and go easy on yourself is my advice.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I think you are caught between a rock and a hard place. I would try to do something indoor like yoga or some weightlifting with the babies. I mean lifting the babies, not let them do the lifting..I think I something on TV that looked like fun for mother and child.....
    I live in a very hot climate and I love to be outdoors. I hate gyms. But I can go out at 5.30 a.m. with the first light of the day. Everything after 9.00 a.m. is a killer as the temperatures are over 100.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Use those cool gel packs that you put in the freezer. Wrap them in a thin towel or a cloth diaper and tuck them in the stroller. If there's a pocket behind the baby seat, it'll have enough of a barrier between the ice pack and the baby.

Or you can give them a zippy cup with water in it and dress them in light clothes. If you're running, the breeze will be nice on the babies who are just sitting there. I have run with a jogging stroller in 100 degree heat before. Hydrated kids are happy kids.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When it's hot, I slow my pace substantially. About 1 minute per mile. And I always make sure I have plenty of water.

Ideally I will find an area with high trees, but it's not always in the cards.

I have no advice on the kids since I don't have any yet.