Spin class problems

Options
Just to clarify, I have always carried weight more on my bum and legs, that's always where it seems to go when I gain.

About 6 weeks ago I started going to weekly spin classes. I have only properly started a diet within the past week, but I know since I started the classes I haven't gained.

Long story short, nothing fits me anymore! :embarassed: My bum has got bigger and my legs, although they feel a bit more solid seem to have got bigger.

My goal is to lose weight and slim down, I do not want to bulk in any way. Has anybody had a similar problem? Is spin class the wrong type of exercise for somebody who wants to slim and tone?

It's so much fun though aha :ohwell: :laugh:

Replies

• 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Be patient- 6 weeks is not long enough for you to transform your physique.
    You won't bulk up unless you are eating an excess in calories- even then cycling isn't really going to do it.
    Squats will.

I'm a cyclist- as in it is my main mode of exercise.
    I do extremely long rides and I can confirm that you will lose weight and you won't bulk up- provided your diet is sorted.
    The muscle you do have will be revealed and the fat will go but you need to think more long term- 6 months is a good timeframe.

Cycling is the perfect exercise- it is low impact and a full cardio workout- which is what you need.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! Hopefully with how my diet has changed now I will start to see some difference :smile:
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No problem.
    I know a lot of people don't want to bulk up- believe me you cannot if you are cycling a lot and your diet is nailed.
    I have to bolt on a bunch of weight training so I don't lose the muscle I do have.

When you see professional cyclists with massive thighs (like Tour De France riders) it is because they do loads and loads of leg work in the gym.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

My goal is to lose weight and slim down, I do not want to bulk in any way. Has anybody had a similar problem? Is spin class the wrong type of exercise for somebody who wants to slim and tone?

Spin is cardio. You will not build muscle doing that cardio.
    You will not "bulk" as a female unless you eat insane amounts of food, lift very heavy things for years, and take steroids. We do not have the testosterone to "bulk" as females.

To slim your legs, heavy lifting. Squats, deadlifts, lunges.