Strength for Runners and Deby Girls

Options
tekne1
tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
Hey all! I am training for the Chicago Marathon and run trails, but I need to add some strength training back in due to fitness requirements for work. I need to be able to do your basics: push-ups, bench press, and sit-ups. Plus I like to be strong. :) Due to the running schedule, I can only set aside two days a week for strength. I previously did Stronglifts 5x5, and I was happy with the program. I also did the New Rules for Women, but I found the program a bit cumbersome for my schedule. So I decided to put together something simple and more running oriented. I also train with a derby girl, and she has somewhat similar needs to a runner. Here is what I smushed together from some plans available online, let me know what you think and if I missed any major muscle groups.

Day One: Split Stance Dumbbell Deadlift, Supine Abs March, One Arm Dumbbell Snatch, Single Leg Jump.

Day Two: Dumbbell Walking Lunges, Incline Sit-Ups, Bench Press (spotter) or Dumbbell Bench Press (alone), Split Stance Dumbbell Row.

I also plan to throw in pushups at home - they're easy to squeeze in. Thanks for any help or advice! Any tips on weight and reps appreciated too. I really liked the heavy weight and few reps of Stronglifts, so I may try something similar with the weighted exercises.