Triathlon - mad to consider it?

Options
MrsMizart
MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
:smokin: Bearing in mind I'll soon be fifty-one, I'm five stone overweight and very (very!) unfit.

I need a goal.

Had to have my horse out to sleep a couple of weeks ago and can't cope with the thought of having another one for some time, so won't be taking up Endurance riding any time soon. I have a youngster who will be backed next year, but that gives me a good twelve months of twiddling my thumbs in the meantime. We have our own company and a couple of extra businesses, but I have absolutely no intention of making my life all about work no matter how much I like most of it :noway:

I have a few drawbacks (apart from the weight and unfitness) in that I've just started physio after breaking my leg/ankle last September, I broke my back a few years ago and whilst it's a whole lot better it still isn't quite right so my other leg doesn't work very well all the time, though I'm hopeful the nice physio man will help to fix it :bigsmile:. One knee is a bit wonky and the other Achilles has a whinge every now and then... And I'm not great with stamina, more a sprint type in all aspects of life :huh:. Oh, and I have high cholesterol, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter in this respect.

On the plus side, I can swim, albeit badly, cycle, and did used to run eight or so miles for fun (I also used to be strong enough and light enough to do a three finger lock-off, but I don't think I'll get back to those days!). Once I focus on a goal I tend to be quite good at reaching it. I would have no intention of doing anything more than a Sprint version, i.e. 1/4 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run. Definitely would only be looking to complete before they'd finished packing away for the day :yawn: :smokin: . I don't drink or smoke. I also have the driver of a family history of strokes, heart disease, and hypertension (all recently diagnosed). I would get a lot of support from family and friends once they'd dried their eyes and picked themselves up off the floor :drinker:

So, my question is, given my dubious credentials, what do the people in the know think of my chances? Am I indeed, as a number of people already suspect, completely barking mad, or is it worth aiming for something in Spring next year?

Disclaimer: I would, of course, be getting the all clear from the various health professionals that are in charge of putting me back together and keeping me in one piece :heart: :bigsmile:

Replies

• TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Why not try? What's the worse that can happen?

I would love to try Triathlon but my swimming is hopeless. I'd drown simple as and I can't stand cold water.

So guess the worse thing for me is that i would drown.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Where there's a will, there's a way! Don't let the excuses of fitness and age stand in your way if this is something that you want to commit to.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Drowning would not be good! Have lessons and wear a wet suit?

I've no idea why I don't just go for it. Maybe because I've been in the horese world for so long that I feel a bit lost without half a tonne of mind and muscle and bone to keep me company in my endeavours :flowerforyou:

You have a point, or two, and I guess I should just go for it... :bigsmile:. I think that because it's so far removed from anything I've done before, and because I'm fairly battered, I wanted to know if those in the know think it would be too much and that maybe I should take up something else.
  • d_creasman
    d_creasman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for it. I have completed about 4 sprints and want to do a half-Ironman, but that crazy swim thing gets in the way. Very rewarding and as long as you train up for it, you will be fine.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Aim for it but spring next year might be a bit soon to reach it based on the health issues. Start training and where you are as the registrations approach. If you're on plan, go for it. If you're not there yet, keep training and reevaluate when the next ones come up.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you folks :bigsmile:

I was thinking maybe May next year, so approx ten months away, but maybe too soon? You're right though, see how the various wonky bits are doing come registration time and take a judgement call then.

A daughter did ask, with what I thought was a commendable amount of control, if I meant the Ironman. Um, that would be a No! Good luck if you ever decide to do it :bigsmile:

This is going to be a daft question, but is there some sort of training programme one can follow? Something along the lines of C25k, but with more bits in it?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    There are a few plans out there. Another good resource is a local triathlon club if there is one in your area. They usually have training plans and sessions for beginners that cover every aspect of the event to include transitions.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you :bigsmile: I will go looksee.

I have to admit that, for probably the first time in my life I'm nervous of going to such a group... I think they'll take one look and not be able to keep a straight face! Before 'all this came along' and back when Time was young, I was so slim, fit and strong. Part of me still doesn't recognise the person I've allowed myself to become.

It's going to be a case of big girl pants in more ways than one!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Here's what one tri club has for training plans on their site.
    http://www.leavenworthtriclub.com/handouts/

They usually have every age and body shape participating. It's just like at a charity 5k .... there are those that do this all the time and beginners ... extremely fit who only get challenged trying to be the fastest and the less fit who just want to claim they completed the event ... kids to the elderly .... scrawny to Rubenesque .... and everything in between.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Don't let where you are now define what you can do later.

You will do this....and you can do it!

Give it a go!!!!

:bigsmile:
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nothing is impossible. Start training and do a 5K race first. Then supplement your running with swimming and cycling. I believe you can and should do this. One thing I've learned is there are no limits.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hell no, it's a great idea.

Just make sure to set up some intermediate goals to keep track of progress. When you're tired and sore it's easy to lose perspective and see the major objective so big and intimidating, and at the same time lose track of your progress.

I started riding my bike not too many years ago. I couldn't pedal for 45 minutes without being sore (I've been active in one way or another all my life, but this was different!). And now if someone said " we'll do 100 miles tomorrow" I would totally be able to do it without any major concerns. But it has taken time.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you all :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

The link will be excellent (can't get onto it from this machine for some reason, but will this evening - I'm in the UK).

I like the idea of interim goals. Usually I'm a 'just go all out for the main goal', but this is such a sea change that the interim idea is very appealing! I think a mapped out training programme, with the interim goals dotted along the way, will be the right thing for me. If bits start to drop off/sieze up/fall by the wayside I'll reassess then :drinker:

I shall go and look for the most flattering Rubenesque gear and invest in some damn decent running shoes :bigsmile:
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Here's what one tri club has for training plans on their site.
    http://www.leavenworthtriclub.com/handouts/

They usually have every age and body shape participating. It's just like at a charity 5k .... there are those that do this all the time and beginners ... extremely fit who only get challenged trying to be the fastest and the less fit who just want to claim they completed the event ... kids to the elderly .... scrawny to Rubenesque .... and everything in between.

Second tim elucky and I got onto the site - is it wrong that I read the Generic Pre-Race Checklist as the Geriatric Pre-Race Checklist... :laugh:
  • EmmaGutteridge83
    Options
    I'm overweight and did my first Triathlon a few months back. My husband got into Triathlon a year ago, but I thought I was too big, and not fit enough so never thought I could do it. I went tyo watch my husband do his first one in March and was completely inspiredt o try it myself. half the people were beginners, and they were of all shapes and sizes, some bigger than me, and all age groups... many at leasty 60!!
    I tend to run a lot, and have done a few half marathons, but I found the sprint Tri to be the best thing I have done, and although it isn't ewasy, I would choose to do this over a half marathon any day, there is less strain on your joints, and it is nice and varied.
    My training was a bit hit and miss, and I finished near the bottom, but I didn't care, it was fun, everyone is supportive, and you get a medal!!

Please go for it, like you said get the all clear, then find a plan and train!! Then sign up when you feel ready, or before you are ready, as actually you never feel ready, as you don't know what to expect!!
    Also, I recommend maybe finding a Tri nearby so you can go and watch what happens, that really helped me!
    Good luck!!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    training peaks has some triathlon training guidance. Train for each event separately and then train for multiple events in the same session ... a brick workout. Swim then bike ... bike then run ... learn that feeling of getting out of the pool and getting on the bike. It's a different experience than just hopping on for a leisurely ride. Running after pedalling is a different sensation as well.

For a first time sprint tri you don't really need to buy anything special. A suit you can swim in ... pull on some cycling shorts and toss a shirt on in the transition, and run in the same outfit. No need for a wetsuit, special triathon wear, or a £5,000 tri bike. Use it as an excuse to go out and have fun while improving your fitness level at the same time.

Here is a site that is a bit more local to you ....
    http://britishtriathlon.org/take-part/what-is-triathlon
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Why not try? What's the worse that can happen?

I would love to try Triathlon but my swimming is hopeless. I'd drown simple as and I can't stand cold water.

So guess the worse thing for me is that i would drown.
    LOL was talking about this the other day to someone. I basically came to the conclusion that I would consider doing a tri-sprint but a) I don't own a bike and b) I can't swim good enough to do well. So maybe if I find a place to practice swimming regularly and buy a bike I'd give it a shot but not this year.
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    Not mad at all..perhaps Motivated!!! Keep me posted :drinker:
    Cheers xxx