Looking for MFP friends with kids who still workout

Options

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 2 here ....home school my daughter ....I get up early to workout before my day begins ..........Feel free to add me
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yeah I need to filter out the junk food in the house and start stocking healthier stuff again. Planning meals ahead is a good idea.

My wife goes to a gym nearby, but I sort of like working out at home lately. Been lifting weights in the basement 3-4 times a week and just started jogging at night in our neighborhood to get some cardio in. The gyms with daycare are great though. Maybe we'll try doing that one day in the future.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have two children who are 7 and 4. I also work about 50 hours/ week. I typically wake up early and do the treadmill or free weights on the days I work then run around the neighborhood the days I don't work. When my children were younger I'd load them up into a jogging stroller and they'd come with me. I've always tried to incorporate them as much as possible so that they have a good example.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to three little boys. Lucky for me, the gym is less than a 2 minute walk from my office. My lunch hour (who am I kidding,lol, more like an hour and a half to two hours) is spent at the gym.

^^ This. Single mom to twin 6 y/o boys. I take my 90 minutes at work to go to the gym (which equates to about a 45 minute to an hour workout). Occasionally I try to squeeze in a workout at home in the early morning, but mostly I cherish my sleep.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Married with 4 kids. (20,15,9,5) All of us do martial arts. My wife and I train jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. 2 nights our 15, 9 and 5 year old also train jiu jitsu. When they are in class we hit the gym to lift for 30-40 minutes. ( our oldest also trains but he don't count as a "kid" lol) It helps that the whole family is able to train in the same place and the nutrition part comes with it pretty easy. If we don't eat well we feel it on the mat. The better our diets the better we can train and longer we can push.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have a toddler, and my husband and I alternate taking the early morning gym shift so one of us can stay with the boy before my husband leaves for work. I also can take my son with me to the gym if I want to go later or take a class.

But we plan on building a home gym before we have out next kid--carting two kids to the gym is more work than I care to handle.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also sneak in a few sets at work. There is a stability ball with dumbbells in an empty cube that we use during our shifts. Working 12 hour nights can be long so I'll get some dumb bell presses or flys and some bi and tricep work in too. lol
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Father of 3 girls here. I work straight nights and workout after work before the family is up, it's my only time. Unless I would sacrifice my 4 hours of sleep a day.

Also, every time we're at the park, you better believe i'm busting out a park workout. Pull ups, chin ups & Dips all day! hahaha
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Married with 4 kids. (20,15,9,5) All of us do martial arts. My wife and I train jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. 2 nights our 15, 9 and 5 year old also train jiu jitsu. When they are in class we hit the gym to lift for 30-40 minutes. ( our oldest also trains but he don't count as a "kid" lol) It helps that the whole family is able to train in the same place and the nutrition part comes with it pretty easy. If we don't eat well we feel it on the mat. The better our diets the better we can train and longer we can push.

That's really awesome that you all do martial arts together like that. I hope I can get our kids to do something like that with us together. My oldest daughter (3.5 yrs old) already knows when my wife drives off to the gym she's going to "exercise" and to "get some muscles" haha! She also knows that I lift "weights" down in the basement at night. Hopefully by exposing them to exercise at a young age it will just become part of their lives.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I have a toddler, and my husband and I alternate taking the early morning gym shift so one of us can stay with the boy before my husband leaves for work. I also can take my son with me to the gym if I want to go later or take a class.

But we plan on building a home gym before we have out next kid--carting two kids to the gym is more work than I care to handle.

Wow, I would have never guessed you had a toddler based on your avatar pic. You must have been a bodybuilder before you had kids or something? That's cool that you're able to work out a routine. It does get harder with two kids in terms of time. I can only imagine having 3 or 4 like some of you do on here!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Father of 3 girls here. I work straight nights and workout after work before the family is up, it's my only time. Unless I would sacrifice my 4 hours of sleep a day.

Also, every time we're at the park, you better believe i'm busting out a park workout. Pull ups, chin ups & Dips all day! hahaha

That's cool. 4 hours of sleep isn't much! I try to get at least 6 hours usually and then get some more on the weekends when I'm off. I guess the reality is the time is there to do stuff if you really want to do it. Like you do at the park, etc.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm a dad --2 young daughters 5 and 7.
    It's rough sometimes finding as much time as I'd like to be at the gym or run or bike. I gave up some sports bc of kids that just take too much time/commitment.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of two (5 yrs and 9yrs) and I also work a full time job and a part time job. I work out 5-6 days a week and I either work out at 4:30 in the morning or I do it after the kids go to bed. I have a treadmill and a ton of workout videos like P90X, P90X3, Insanity, etc so I can do everything right from home.
  • LogansMomTX
    Options
    I have a 4-year old and my hubby works overseas, so finding time to work out is challenging. When we lived in the States, we belonged to the YMCA which was great becaue they offered free childcare. I could take him and get a two-hour workout in, knowing he was well taken care of. Now, we live in the Dominican Republic AND I've just now gotten clearance to walk again (broke my ankle on both sides, have two screws in there), so we walk around the neighborhood and we swim - a lot of very low-impact stuff. I have a bike trailer that my son rides in on the back of my bike. We just try to find things to keep us active, but include our little guy. Even a walk on the beach is a workout for the legs!

:smile:
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I have two boys ages 4 and 2 and it's tough! I work out every morning--usually before the kiddos wake up. There are mornings like today where I have a 2 year old clinging to my leg as I'm desperately trying to finish the last circuit on my Jillian Michaels DVD. Those morning are way harder. I jump around the room trying to do moves out of his reach as he cries and chases me, dragging his blanket. I of course end up knocking him over which leads to more crying. It's probably funny to watch. So it's WAY easier to get workouts done without kids around but we get it done :)
    Feel free to add me for support!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run and do body weight exercises.
  • revgosik
    revgosik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids. 8, 5, and 3. I work a full time job and a part time job. I do workout videos after the kids are asleep. While I am putting them to sleep (the youngest anyway- the other 2 put themselves to bed) my husband goes for a run or a bike ride. When he gets back I do a video. I have never actually had a gym membership.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep...we have 2 kids (8 and 5). I usually get up to workout around 5 am while my husband is still home to be with the kids. And he works out at night. But if I end up working out at night, he hits the treadmill in the basement and I run outside.
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    one kiddo (hes almost 14)..but hes at the age where hes to young to drive himself..but old enough hes got a full calender..so Im running him around! add in I work 40 hours a week, am a 4-h leader and raise sheep..yeehaw..still work out.
  • felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. She is a workout sabatoge queen. She goes to bed late, and wakes up early. Not to mention the middle of the night waking. Because they share a room, I have to get up with her or the whole house is up. I will admit, since she started these middle of the night wakings, I cannot get up in the morning to work out. And I'm exhausted by the time she goes to bed that I feel like I've given up. I cannot find my mojo because all I want to do when they sleep is sleep myself! :(