Im burning fat and building muscle, can this last?

Options
I know its not supposed to, but I'm hoping I can keep this up. I read some interesting links posted here last night, but I'm cautiously optimistic I'm the exception to the rule.

Eating 1800 calories a day, 200 G protein minimum, 100 g carbs, 30 grams sugar max (all natural good sugars). Very clean diet, not big on cheat days.

Three heavy lift days a week, two hard cardio days a week, one floater day, one off day.

Last four weeks I've seen muscle go up and fat go down. Last week was the most significant, down 3 pounds fat up 2 pounds muscle.

I'm 32, been healthy and active my whole life, just let things get a little out of hand with my eating habits and took the year to get back to basics (with 80 pounds total to shed).

Can I keep this up?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're getting your numbers from and how you've measured this. But first to bust your bubble but Professional body builders struggle to put on a pound of muscle a month. Building muscle is not easy so it's unlikely you've put on 2 pounds in a week especially in a calorie deficit when it's even more unlikely
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm also very interested in where you're getting that data.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    x3.

There are exceptions to the rule but 2 lbs of muscle in a week is beyond the exception.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Increases in fat free mass do not necessarily mean increases in muscle mass. If you are using a body fat scale or something like it, then it cannot measure actual muscle.

So watch the numbers if you want, but don't get too hung up on them. The plan you have outlined is fine, and you are seeing some initial results--that's the most important thing.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    33a6o92.jpg
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a deficit. It's impossible. Sort of like adding onto a house without lumber or nails. It can't happen.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Numbers coming from fancy scale at my trainers office. Where you stand on it and hold two bars coming off, and it measures each part of the body; right leg, left leg, trunk, left arm, right arm. Spits out bmi, bfp, water weight, lean muscle, fat, etc.

I don't adjust my food down to compensate for exercise either, but on strong workout days I will eat an extra 200 calories sometimes.

I started the first couple months just eating less and eating healthier, then started doing regimented workouts, and saw better, faster results, then cranked it up and started really making my calories count and working with a trainer. My numbers going down have decreased significantly, but I'm stronger and my wife told me the other day "I don't like that you're getting defined muscles". Anybody want to guess why it was so easy for me to gain weight?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    NO.

FIFY
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sure its possible the closer you eat to maintenance calories. It is possible to have a net loss of body fat and a net gain in muscle mass.

2 pounds of muscle gain in one week is pretty unlikely. Not even sure that would be possible for an enhanced lifter on a surplus to gain that kind of muscle. It is most likely an error with the measuring method.

Just keep on strength training and hitting your calorie and macros and enjoy the process. The initial changes will be awesome but will slow down eventually.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Numbers coming from fancy scale at my trainers office. Where you stand on it and hold two bars coming off, and it measures each part of the body; right leg, left leg, trunk, left arm, right arm. Spits out bmi, bfp, water weight, lean muscle, fat, etc.

I don't adjust my food down to compensate for exercise either, but on strong workout days I will eat an extra 200 calories sometimes.

I started the first couple months just eating less and eating healthier, then started doing regimented workouts, and saw better, faster results, then cranked it up and started really making my calories count and working with a trainer. My numbers going down have decreased significantly, but I'm stronger and my wife told me the other day "I don't like that you're getting defined muscles". Anybody want to guess why it was so easy for me to gain weight?

Yeah, those BIA devices are common and are laughable. Mine shows my muscle increasing or decreasing 5+ lbs on any given day. So no, don't waste your time with those numbers. That doesn't mean you should do anything differently, dropping the fat and getting stronger is perfect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

As a PT myself, the fancy scale isn't as accurate as you think it may be. We have one and just out of curiosity, I weighed and checked myself before a workout, then checked after..................and somehow it said I gained muscle. My weight went up a pound (from drinking water) and of course my muscles were "pumped up", but there's no way I gained muscle since working out actually tears it down.
    Losing fat and building muscle (recomp) is a LONG and arduous process. Not to burst your bubble, but don't believe everything your PT is telling you.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That fancy scale you speak off, I have one. It's still a bio impedance measuring device and highly depend on hydration levels. It's good for a long term trend, but day to day, totally useless and inaccurate.
  • oinkerjnn
    Options
    Could very well be an error in measurement, but its been several weeks of this, and it seems strange that I would ramp up my strength training and yet slow down my weight loss at the same time. My chart was at a 45 degree angle going down and has leveled off, yet I'm eating better than ever before and working out more than ever before.

The only logical conclusion is that I am building muscle.
  • oinkerjnn
    Options

As a PT myself, the fancy scale isn't as accurate as you think it may be. We have one and just out of curiosity, I weighed and checked myself before a workout, then checked after..................and somehow it said I gained muscle. My weight went up a pound (from drinking water) and of course my muscles were "pumped up", but there's no way I gained muscle since working out actually tears it down.
    Losing fat and building muscle (recomp) is a LONG and arduous process. Not to burst your bubble, but don't believe everything your PT is telling you.

IDEA Fitness member

My PT told me exactly the same thing you are saying. He is not one for blowing smoke. Me on the other hand...

Bottom line, as I get closer to my target weight; screw the scale, trust my belt instead?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Could very well be an error in measurement, but its been several weeks of this, and it seems strange that I would ramp up my strength training and yet slow down my weight loss at the same time. My chart was at a 45 degree angle going down and has leveled off, yet I'm eating better than ever before and working out more than ever before.

Ramping up strength training can result in more water retention in the muscles which can mask small losses in weight.
    I went up 2lbs and stayed there an entire month.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

People that are new to lifting and overweight can add some muscle while in a deficit. Adding 2 pounds in a week, or even in a month, is probably not.

This will not last though so enjoy it while you can. Be prepared for it to taper off in a couple of months.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

My PT told me exactly the same thing you are saying. He is not one for blowing smoke. Me on the other hand...

Bottom line, as I get closer to my target weight; screw the scale, trust my belt instead?
    The mirror and your clothing are going to be your best indicators. It's hard to deny how one looks in a mirror and if your clothes are "hanging" off you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • oinkerjnn
    Options
    Im very numbers oriented, so its tough as I get closer To my goals to see my numbers suffer, despite the fact I'm feeling stronger and better every day.

They aren't suffering per se, I'm still hitting my targets, but I was exceeding them for a period of time. Once I exceed a goal, I like to set a new higher goal, not treat it like a fluke and go back to the same goal.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Im very numbers oriented, so its tough as I get closer To my goals to see my numbers suffer, despite the fact I'm feeling stronger and better every day.

They aren't suffering per se, I'm still hitting my targets, but I was exceeding them for a period of time. Once I exceed a goal, I like to set a new higher goal, not treat it like a fluke and go back to the same goal.

Except that there was a lot of "noise" in those numbers so it is problematic to use them as a reference. That's a decent model for that type of scale, but it would still not recommend too frequent readings, unless you are prepared to deal with the variability. Those aren't precise readings, they are affected by hydration status. They are best used to show general trends over time.