Got Shoes?

TheNewJessieMae
TheNewJessieMae Posts: 767
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate shoes. I hate them. If I am in a place where I don't have to wear shoes, then I don't. I walk outside barefoot, and most times I'm at work barefoot (with socks). I see people who walk/jog barefoot with those footies things and say that we were meant to be barefoot and all that, but I'll put my Nikes on for that. BUT my question is-do you actually strap tennis shoes on to work out in your home? I NEVER put shoes on to do the Shred, Tae Bo, the inhome walking vids-NOTHING. Just curious if I was weird or if there are others........

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I don't either. I don't take them off when I'm out, but at home I don't wear them. Maybe a pair of house slippers if my feet are cold. But working out, doing my Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs, I don't wear them. I hate wearing them while I am doing that. You're not alone my fellow country bumpkin. lol
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    I hate to wear shoes myself but i have too. When i really started to work out I got a heel splint and it hurt to walk on it. I didn't have enough cushioning for my feet during exercise. Now I wear them whenever I'm going to work out because the splint finally went away and I don't want it to come back.
  • I always wear my tennis shoes when I work out at home.. but I am now second guessing if I should.. waiting for other comments..
  • I don't either. I don't take them off when I'm out, but at home I don't wear them. Maybe a pair of house slippers if my feet are cold. But working out, doing my Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs, I don't wear them. I hate wearing them while I am doing that. You're not alone my fellow country bumpkin. lol

Yes Ma'am!!! Barefoot, pregnant, cars jacked up in the front yard-the whole 9 yards!!!! lololololololol ha ha ha
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    :laugh: I don't wear shoes for that either, but I guess i would if I suspected injury!

i don't run barefoot, but i do stretch out barefoot. i was having weird PF in one of my feet and taking some time to stretch out barefoot pre-run REALLY has helped!
  • I always wear my tennis shoes when I work out at home.. but I am now second guessing if I should.. waiting for other comments..

If you search forums on being barefoot you will find that there is a whole LARGE group of people who "don't believe in shoes". The really do jog without them and everything. Primal. Cavemanish.
    I follow the Primal Blueprint as my "way of life"/"diet", but I don't know if I could go as far as jogging or walking on paved roads or hiking without shoes. I only do it in my own home because I just don't see the point in putting them on. AND I feel like it makes my ankles stronger because I actually have to use them instead of them being held up by my shoes. Plus I'm just too lazy to strap em on!!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    I like a nice cushion in my sneaker for high impact (I boost with Leslie), but go barefoot'n when I do my kettlebell workout!:wink:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I've never really worn shoes when working out to my DVDs in my carpeted living room. The only time I put my sneakers on is when I do the strength training Turbo Fire or Chalean Extreme DVDs and I'm using an exercise band. I find that it hurts my foot or snaps out from under my foot when I'm using the exercise band to workout, so I have to wear sneakers. Otherwise, I'm fine without them and I prefer it. It's more comfortable and I don't make as much noise since I'm in a second floor apartment.
  • I've never really worn shoes when working out to my DVDs in my carpeted living room. The only time I put my sneakers on is when I do the strength training Turbo Fire or Chalean Extreme DVDs and I'm using an exercise band. I find that it hurts my foot or snaps out from under my foot when I'm using the exercise band to workout, so I have to wear sneakers. Otherwise, I'm fine without them and I prefer it. It's more comfortable and I don't make as much noise since I'm in a second floor apartment.

VERY true with the noise!!!!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    I exercise (30DS, Banish Fat) at home on carpeting and I find it nearly impossible to do many of the maneuvers while wearing my gym shoes. My feet would slide inside my shoes for certain moves, even though I've never had problems with them while walking or running. I tried different socks and tightening my laces, but in the end found that going barefoot was the only way I could comfortably jump side to side, do burpees, and other similar moves. I sometimes feel I have a better sense of balance while barefoot, even though my right arch is fallen.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    AND I feel like it makes my ankles stronger because I actually have to use them instead of them being held up by my shoes.

You are 100% correct. It makes your feet, ankles and lower legs stronger.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I wear shoes when I have to-- to run errands, go to church, and to the gym. Outside of that, I am barefoot.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    I don't wear shoes to work out at home. I prefer to be barefoot or in heals as much as possible. Obviously the heals won't work for zumba!~
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    strangely, i feel like shoes slow me down and make me clumsy. i usually never work out with them-- but i've had to a couple times. i've really upped my at home work outs (Leslie Sansone), and my ankles were hurting a little, so if my feet start hurting, I'll wear shoes maybe once a week out of 4 or 5 times. just listen to your feet. :)
  • Most of the time if I'm in my room working out I won't. I have used them for things like burpees cause I used to hit my feet hard when I kicked back into plank. I use them occasionally if I'm doing HIIT sprints in place. I use them always in the garage on the punching bag and airdyne but that's because the garage floor is covered in crap that would slice my feet up quite nicely. My room has hardwood floors so I always use a mat when working out.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    strangely, i feel like shoes slow me down and make me clumsy. i usually never work out with them-- but i've had to a couple times. i've really upped my at home work outs (Leslie Sansone), and my ankles were hurting a little, so if my feet start hurting, I'll wear shoes maybe once a week out of 4 or 5 times. just listen to your feet. :)

I agree! Listen to your feet. If it feels good to work out barefoot, definitely go barefoot! :D
  • Hi,

I always used to exercise barefoot but recently I've started to worry about my knees, so tend to wear them for anything that has a lot of jumping in. I might try a week with out to compare.
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    No doubt shoes serve a purpose. I have worked out in my home with and without shoes and I certainly seem to have less joint pain when I have my shoes on. But I have terribly flat feet and am a severe overpronator so it's just luck that I don't break my ankle taking a step. That being said, most of the time I don't have my shoes on when working out at home because I either don't have my inside-the-house shoes near me or just don't feel like putting them on. Jury's still out on the necessty for shoes I have heard scientific arguments on both sides that seem completely reasonable. Like almost everything else concerning one's body, I say do what works for you.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    I don't wear shoes to work out at home. I prefer to be barefoot or in heals as much as possible. Obviously the heals won't work for zumba!~

so elegant! :laugh:
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    I'm with you! Barefoot or stilettos!
This discussion has been closed.