Eating well vs eating less, hard to get enough calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    But you don't need to eat half your calories at breakfast. If I did that, I would overeat every day. Eat when you feel like. It makes no difference.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    But you don't need to eat half your calories at breakfast. If I did that, I would overeat every day. Eat when you feel like. It makes no difference.
    So you're ignoring the published scientific studies which say it _does_ make a difference (which I gave multiple links to in my post), because you think you can't control yourself in order to eat that way & think other people couldn't either?
    (Despite the evidence that it's been done.) :ohwell:

I don't pull these things out of my butt, it's not my opinion.
    I'm passing on advice from people who have researched weight loss.

It's one more tool to use to improve a person's chance of success losing weight, and several of those studies said that other measures of health also improved markedly using that eating pattern.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."

In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957

Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf
  • MKEgal
    Options
    "subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926

Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf
  • MKEgal
    Options
    "data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You can check out my diary or friend me. My diary's public and I eat pretty much everything made from scratch (it's just easier to know what's in there and it's a personal preference), lots of vegetables and whole grains, plus lean meats and fish, healthy fats, beans and lentils. Some of it wouldn't classify as not expensive, but it might give you some ideas. I don't deliberately eat low-GI, but it just seems how I naturally prefer to eat.

My calories are 1400, protein around 95g, total fat 51g, fiber around 35g.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has suggested that using oils/fats to cook your foods will add calories without bulk or adding olive oil as a salad dressing. Also nuts and seeds are always good options (can be expensive but are nutrient dense so a pack will last a while if portioned properly). Dark chocolate is always good and has a lower sugar content than milk choc. Full fat dairy is higher in calories and usually lower in carbs than skim versions

I eat dark chocolate practically every day! A little fat, a little sugar, a heckuva lot of enjoyment, lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    "data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

These are nice, but I suggest you do a more thorough review of the literature, like these people did - they included all of the sources you're referencing, BTW:
    Taken from Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, Weighing the Evidence of Common Beliefs in Obesity Research
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408398.2014.922044#tabModule

Presumption 1 - Regularly eating (versus skipping) breakfast is protective against obesity.
    Exposition of belief and support that the belief is widely held or stated. The consumption of breakfast is thought to result in fewer total calories consumed in a day. By causing satiety earlier in the day, the desire to consume food later would be sufficiently lower, possibly because of changes in hunger-related hormones such as ghrelin, leptin, and insulin.
    “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is a widely touted maxim both in general and in relation to weight loss. A WebMD Feature titled “Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast” declares that “making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight – and keep it off,” citing opinions from dietitians, medical doctors, researchers, and a couple of observational studies 237. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics also has several pages on Eatright.org with phrases such as “[Breakfast] can also help to promote a healthy weight and good behavior” 238; “Want to trim your waist? Try eating breakfast!” 239; and “With two thirds of Americans overweight, a morning meal may just be the best kept waist-trimming secret” 239. The Mayo Clinic also states the belief, with an article titled, “Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?” 240. The Mayo Clinic article was in turn cited by the Lance Armstrong Foundation, claiming, “If you skip breakfast while trying to cut calories and lose weight, you may actually be setting your weight loss back.” 241. In response to a paper investigating the scientific merit of the presumed effect of breakfast and obesity, an article on WebMD responded, “Hogwash, I say… Do we really need to have people question if they should eat breakfast?… Perhaps the scientific evidence on breakfast and weight is mixed. I don't care 242.”
    Reasons to support the conjecture that the belief might be true. The “breaking the fast” concept is thought to move an individual from a hypometabolic, fasted state toward one of energy dependence. According to the hypothesis, eating shortly after waking and hypothetically early in the day is thought to give an individual all day to metabolize the energy, as opposed to consuming calories later (e.g., before sleep) when energy utilization may be low. Numerous observational studies have shown associations between breakfast consumption and lower BMI. For example, a review of 58 studies and 88 study groups found that the OR of being overweight or obese among those skipping breakfast compared to those consuming breakfast was 1.55 (95% CI: 1.46, 1.65; p<10−42) 243.
    Further, in one-day studies, subjective and hormonal measurements of appetite differed between individuals who skipped breakfast and those who consumed breakfast, thus indicating an acute link between breakfast and appetite, and by extrapolation that this change in appetite may influence body weight 244,245. Moreover, two studies that redistributed an isocaloric diet so calories were consumed predominantly in the morning or evening resulted in improved weight loss in the group whose calories were predominantly consumed at breakfast 246,247. However, these studies did not look specifically at the influence of breakfast alone.
    Evidence directly supporting or refuting the belief. Beyond observational and single-meal studies, very little evidence directly supports or refutes the belief that breakfast eating affects weight. Shorter, single-meal, controlled studies have investigated the links between breakfast consumption and factors related to weight. Some evidence indicates that skipping breakfast results in partial compensation during subsequent meals 244,245,248, although this is not necessarily associated with an increase in total energy intake 245,249 and in some cases results in decreased total energy intake 248,250,251. Importantly, in an observational analysis of absolute versus relative breakfast calories, Schusdziarra et al. observed 252 that increasing the amount of calories consumed at breakfast was associated with greater overall caloric intake in normal weight and obese subjects.
    Evidence from randomized trials. Few randomized studies have directly investigated the effects of breakfast consumption on weight loss. In a randomized study of 791 Jamaican grade school children (mean age, 9.0 ± 1.2 years), half of whom were ≤ -1 SD of weight-for-age, children who were assigned to consume breakfast for one school year gained more weight than did those who were not assigned to consume breakfast, pooled across weight-for-age status 253. In another randomized study of obese women, regular breakfast eaters lost more weight when they did not eat breakfast, but those who regularly skipped breakfast lost more weight when they did eat breakfast 254. There was no main effect of breakfast consumption. In studies in which energy was consumed in single daily meals over 1 or 3 weeks, individuals lost more weight consuming only breakfast relative to those consuming only dinner 255. In a comparison of ready-to-eat cereals versus ready-to-eat cereals plus nutritional advice versus no breakfast, only the ready-to-eat cereals plus nutritional advice group showed greater weight loss compared with the no breakfast group; thus, the weight loss could not be attributed solely to the consumption of breakfast 256. In summary, although there is fairly consistent observational evidence that breakfast consumption versus breakfast skipping is associated with a lower BMI, the available evidence from RCTs is insufficient to make causal claims about skipping breakfast itself independently affecting obesity.

tl;dr; Evidence is insufficient to make a causal claim about the consumption or skipping of breakfast affecting obesity.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In, because people are rude and now we're having the breakfast debate.