help with exercise and diet, just started

Options
Hi everybody,

I just started about 4 days ago and hearing different things so wanted to ask for assistance. I'm 5'10, 234 lbs. I want to be lean and 185 range. I was told, according to the app, 1500 calories but a couple people said that was too low.

Current diet: designer whey scoop of protein powder, 18 g of protein 100 calories. Been eating eggs, chicken, salmon, and lots of broccoli. Brown rice also.

Current workout: hitting gym 5 days a week for 1 hour. Lifting weights and super sets. I'm in day 4. After every workout I spend 10 minutes in the dry sauna at golds

I hate running and elliptical but for sure want to do more full body cardio worjouts.

Advice?

Replies

• dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Check out other calculators - this is a good one http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also 1500 does sound too low for you I lose on 1650 and I am a 5'7" woman who weighs 170. You probably are putting in Sedentary and 2 pounds a week. It may be too aggressive.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    That does seem low for calories, I agree with the first reply go to scoobysworkshop and see what it tells you. If you don't like running and don't like the elliptical (I can't use them) I suggest either a bike, or stairclimber.
  • noriny83
    noriny83 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes I put in sedentary and 2 lbs you are right. Should I increase it to 1800? I know there isn't a perfect formula out there but there is just so much information
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For myself I took the Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) and subtracted 500 (this puts me at 1 lb a week). However I set mine at sedentary (which I am not, I work out 6 days a week 4 of those days I work out twice). I eat less than 30% of the additional calories burned (seems to be working great for me, in just under 2 weeks I've lost 5 pounds).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

give those a look.
    For myself I took the Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) and subtracted 500 (this puts me at 1 lb a week). However I set mine at sedentary (which I am not, I work out 6 days a week 4 of those days I work out twice). I eat less than 30% of the additional calories burned (seems to be working great for me, in just under 2 weeks I've lost 5 pounds).
    Lying to the calculators isn't doing anyone any good.
    Yes I put in sedentary and 2 lbs you are right. Should I increase it to 1800? I know there isn't a perfect formula out there but there is just so much information

There isn't a perfect formula, but if you weigh yourself now. Track EVERYTHING you eat for at LEAST 6 weeks. Weigh yourself again at the end... you'll have a much better idea of what your true TDEE is. If you've lost, boom... math. If you stayed the same weight, congrats, you found your TDEE and can subtract. If you gained, well, eat a little less and start over with the 6 weeks.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I just started about 4 days ago and hearing different things so wanted to ask for assistance. I'm 5'10, 234 lbs. I want to be lean and 185 range. I was told, according to the app, 1500 calories but a couple people said that was too low.

Current diet: designer whey scoop of protein powder, 18 g of protein 100 calories. Been eating eggs, chicken, salmon, and lots of broccoli. Brown rice also.

Current workout: hitting gym 5 days a week for 1 hour. Lifting weights and super sets. I'm in day 4. After every workout I spend 10 minutes in the dry sauna at golds

I hate running and elliptical but for sure want to do more full body cardio worjouts.

Advice?

While you can lose weight with just lifting, cardio is important regardless. Force yourself to it, eventually you'll be moving so much it is easy.