Lifting weights?

Options
My trainer told me that I needed to lose about 30 pounds before I could lift. I'm only doing cardio right now. I have just started my journey and I truly want to lift heavy at some point. I've set a goal and I just want some input about when it's time for me to lift how it's going to be....my trainer, who is also a friend won't even discuss it with me right now! LOL

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Friend or no friend, trainer is wrong...
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that I needed to lose about 30 pounds before I could lift. I'm only doing cardio right now. I have just started my journey and I truly want to lift heavy at some point. I've set a goal and I just want some input about when it's time for me to lift how it's going to be....my trainer, who is also a friend won't even discuss it with me right now! LOL
    Is there a specific reason that led to the conclusion that you shouldn't lift? Some underlying condition? I wish I lifted heavy a lot earlier in my weight loss.
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    Unless there is a legitimate reason as to why you cant life (ie injury etc), theres no reason why you cant.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of your medical history, but in general, you should be able to lift weights and do cardio at the same time. Seems to work for most people. But maybe you have some sort of medical issue that inhibits that?

Lifting weights is pretty straightforward though. For a beginner, you can probably just do a full body workout 2-3 times a week for 3-6 months before you start to plateau and then move into a more intermediate type workout plan from there. You can get some cheap dumbbells off of Craigslist and a basic flat/incline adjustable bench and do quite a bit with just those things at first .
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If your trainer's advice is strictly based on body weight, and not a medical condition, that is crazy talk! While dieting, a chunk of the weight you are losing is actually muscle if you aren't training your body to keep it. You could be doing a disservice to your body by not lifting. Find a good routine and learn the proper technique for each lift. Slowly increase the weight as you learn and perfect proper form. When you get to your goal weight, you will know how to lift proper, and know your weight limits for all your lifts!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to work with weights. I started out with weights and weight machines at the very beginning, when I had more than 160 pounds to lose. Still going at it with 75 pounds to go.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

That's ridiculous!

Like others have mentioned, unless there is a medical conditions, lifting should be part of the routine. There are so many benefits besides weight loss, weight gain or body composition.

I think you're friend is just afraid you'll lift more then them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    3260.gif
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    That is stupid. Like people have said unless you have a legitimate injury keeping you from lifting. There is no reason to wait to lift. Your friend is full of BS. Lifting is the best thing you can do to help loose weight and keep it off.