So, it says 1 tbsp... is it heap or flat?

Options
I love peanut butter :love: and have it as a snack. The nutrition info says 2tbsp (28g) ... does it mean a heap full or flat or something in between? To make things worst I snack using a teaspoon, usually a heap full (meaning i don't intentionally flatten it, usually just dip my teaspoon in). I don't have a digital food scale...

Replies

• xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i would go fairly level to play on the safe side.

i have noticed if its a recipe it will say heaped or flat but on here they just say a spoon x
  • cddroid
    cddroid Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious about this. Peanut butter is the best, but if we're not careful the calories add up quickly! I tend to heap my teaspons also. I love just licking the peanut butter off the spoon - so much flavor there! Yum!

I would like to hear from others how they measure their peanut butter. Thanks!

cddroid
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    level, always for calorie measurements.

I can easily fit two more teaspoons into a "heaping" teaspoon. :tongue:
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Level spoonful. Have you ever tried almond butter? I like that even better and it's a bit healthier for you. :wink:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It means in a measuring tablespoon (not the one that is a part of your flatwear), and.leveled off with the back of a knife.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Just for you.... I went and took out a teaspoon from my kitchen drawer, I tared it on my scale and then heaped some peanut butter on it and re-weighed. It said 31g- which is pretty darn close to 28.

I'd safely say that one heaped kitchen teaspoon of peanut butter is darn close to the two tablespoon serving size.

:flowerforyou:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just for you.... I went and took out a teaspoon from my kitchen drawer, I tared it on my scale and then heaped some peanut butter on it and re-weighed. It said 31g- which is pretty darn close to 28.

I'd safely say that one heaped kitchen teaspoon of peanut butter is darn close to the two tablespoon serving size.

This is true using your teaspoon, but different flatware sets have different sized teaspoons. Some people are also more skilled at heaping it on. It all comes down to what level of accuracy each of us is satisfied with, "close enough" can work quite well.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Flat. I always keep a measuring spoon in the peanut butter jar and level it out.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

Thank you Wolfena, you are the greatest!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Yum!! I bet it was your pleasure to lick the spoon after measuring it! LOL!!
  • JaneZv
    Options
    Level spoonful. Have you ever tried almond butter? I like that even better and it's a bit healthier for you. :wink:

Not yet, but i be sure to try! Thanks for the suggestion. :drinker:
  • JaneZv
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone! :bigsmile:

So we've reached a unanimous conclusion that it 1tbsp is a level spoonful. Unfortunately that means i've been over eating... that explains my weight.. :grumble: .. lol. I agree with elainegsd that "close enough" can work quite well. I want to be able to enjoy treats without getting too pissy about the exact amount, leveled off with the back of a knife... nah :tongue: but i be sure to take note that it a heap spoonful = almost 2tbsp.
  • JaneZv
    Options

Yum!! I bet it was your pleasure to lick the spoon after measuring it! LOL!!

LOL! You bet i do!! And its so goooooood! :blushing: :bigsmile: