Wieight taining and routine help

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
K so here's the deal started weight loss 6 months ago with weight at 280+. I am now
At 192. With huge different in size to show for it and I continue to loss weight.
I trying to maintain my protien at 1g per kilo
And I think for me to maintain healthiness I need to start adding weights

So my question is I am going to be starting a gym within the month
If everything works out and I don't want to go in without a plan set in place.
This gym is small in a small town and doesn't off trainers.
So i am doing this with the help of everyone here.
What should I do?
How should I build this routine?
Sites for proper formation? "Demonstration"
What routines will help straighten core muscles and yet tone and
Maintainable weight loss?
With the proper routine what should the day routine be?

Any other advice I should know that I may not have asked.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro here, so I'll give it a swing.

There are several great strength training programs for beginner. Starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting. There are more, I don't remember them all. For form, there are plenty of YouTube videos where you can watch what others are doing. It's probably a good idea to video your own form for feedback. I will post a link to a group with an abundance of great tips and advice (start by reading the stickies at the top of the forum).

I am going to mention you diet here as well, although you didn't ask about it. You have lost a significant amount of weight in a very short period of time. I suspect that is due to being quite calorie restrictive. You will not be able to fuel a proper weight training workout without eating more. When I started lifting, I had to increase my daily calories because my poor dog started looking like a T-bone steak.

I will leave you with two links to look through. One is for the group I mentioned above. The other is authored by one of the group leaders, and it discusses a lot of helpful information that will support you along the way, moving forward from here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

I hope something in this is helpful. Best wishes for you.
  • ksampsonator
    ksampsonator Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Deup,

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss! That is a very impressive achievement. Now as for the training routine that you want, I'm assuming you'd like to continue to lose some more fat and continue to eat in a caloric deficit. So, in that case you will want to go with a program that suits you and the goal you have in mind. For instance, you can lose weight and build endurance and muscular strength using a circuit program (Rapid successive exercises followed one after the other with very little rest) or you could go with a weight training program which focuses on anaerobic exercises (Squats, Benchpress, deadlifts) and can build strength/endurance/power. As long as you are in a caloric deficit any routine you choose will facilitate your weight loss. Its all about the types of results in performance that you would like to see alongside your weight loss that will determine the program best fit for you.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of cardio/aerobic activity so I'll go with one day of the week of pure aerobic training. You just need enough cardio to "stoke the engine (once or twice a week is plenty)" if you will, this helps to keep the metabolism high which aids in weight loss - ex) Treadmill, Stationary Bike, Elliptical. It's also a good idea to mix pure cardio activities with high intensity exercises like burpees, jump squats, clean and jerks, snatches etc.. pretty much any compound exercise that involves a large grouping of muscles. Remember, cardio isn't only running, but any exercise that is performed with a minimal rest period and keeps the heart rate high.

You can then split different body parts you train into different days. Ex) Monday - Chest/Biceps, Tuesday - Rest or Cardio (Depending on soreness/caloric intake of the day), Wednesday - Back, Thursday - Rest or Cardio, Friday Shoulders Triceps, Saturday - Legs, Sunday - Rest or Cardio. A simple split like this is what I really enjoy and feel is most effective and is orientated towards my own goals - Hypertrophy/Strength training.

Take home message - As long as you're in a caloric deficit, any activity you do will help with your weight loss, its up to the performance results that you would like to see that will determine whether a program is fit for you.

As far as the diet goes, for weight loss I find a low carbohydrate diet is best. It helps to keep you fuller longer due to the fats and proteins density and slower digestion properties. Anywhere from 50-150g of carbs is a good start and if you really want to get serious about low carbing you can try a ketogenic diet. This changes your bodies energy system from running on carbs which get broken down into glucose and then utilized to running on fat and get broken down into ketones which become the main source of fuel. In short your body runs on fat and becomes a fat burning machine. There are some great articles and journal studies conducted which show many benefits of this sort of dieting. http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ is a great research page and a video which is quite interesting is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6DtqmZ3Mw .

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html has some great workout routines that you can play around with and tweak to fit your needs.

Anyways, I hope that I was able to give you some information that will help with your goals. Good luck on the journey and keep moving forward.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of weight lost in a short period of time. You must have been on a big calorie deficit.

First you should first start eating more calories and up your protein intake to at least 1.4g/kg (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117006/)

As far as weight lifting goes, I'd recommend a beginner start on a full body routine instead of a bro split.

People here often mention Starting Strength and Stronglifts, but I personally prefer Jason Blaha's 5x5 routine over them because it is more bodybuilding oriented.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Search Youtube to learn proper form.

Oh and finally: nothing will tone you except losing body fat. All the muscle in the world isn't going to tone you if it's buried under fat, so you have to get lean.
  • deup
    Options
    Thank you this info is vary useful and the links are great lots of reading to do
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you pick up the book starting strength, and youtube Mark Rippetoe on youtube for help with performing the exercises. Easy program to follow as it has the progression all laid out for you, and is meant for beginners. I would also suggest more protein (up to double what you are getting now) 0.8 grams/lb of lbm is usually sufficient, which works out to 1.76 grams per KG of LBM, so at 20% BF% at 200 lbs (91KGs) that would be 73KG's of LBM so 1.76*73 = 128 grams of protein, as a bare minimum.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Starting Strength suggestion (say that five times fast). Youtube is usually helpful for form work, and if you ever feel the need to add any accessory lifts, (say, adding good mornings for weak hamstrings), this website is a good quick reference: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

You can look up exercises by the muscle groups you want to work, and the "Muscles" list has some nice technical information about the anatomy of muscle groups.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    As others have said, Starting Strength is the way to go. Buy the ebook and read it all the way through.
  • deup
    Options
    Thank u defiantly will see if I can find it around here
  • deup
    Options
    I know it's hard to setup a work out routines. One thing I liked about the 30 day shed that the routine is set for you:) all this is soooooo confusing lol