Upper thigh pain

Options
Lately when I am doing the treadmill I get sharp pain in my long thigh muscle running into my groin. It didn't bother me the first couple months, just the last week or so. But I have also been doing more leg presses and weight lifting. And lunges. I usually start out with the treadmill to get my muscles warmed up before I lift but is this the best thing and why do you think I am having this pain. It's not a nice I have worked the muscle pain, its a OMG I want to stop moving pain. any ideas?

Replies

• hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hip Flexor?
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try to take some Advil or other ibupropen before exercising. Could be burisitis. I took pills before exercising and it helped.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.sports-injury-info.com/hip-stretches.html

Yep, most likely tight hip flexors and it bands. The above link goes to some stretches.

*note: I am not a doctor, and if pain persists, go see one.:wink:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link for the stretches. I knew there were probably some out there specific for this problem.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Memamom!

Check your form on the lunges, is your front AND back foot pointed straight ? If no you're putting the lower extremity in a position that puts a strain on several muscles that attach to the "groin area" . It can happen if either foot is pointed out- this also occures when you sweep your leg accross your body (standing or lying) with resistance (think about moving a box out of your way with your foot). You might need to rest a few days, and modify the lunge...
    I'm not a doctor either, but I am a nurse with orthopedic and physical therapy experience- if it doesn't feel better after a week of rest, you should see a doctor.
    Good luck,hun:wink:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, are you doing the same workout daily? If so, stop. You have to allow those muscles to rest between workouts, especially if you are lifting weights (lunges, etc.). I'd suggest doing upper body, a different type of cardio, or maybe yoga on the days in between. Every other day for weights with the same muscle group.

Second, warm up before the weight work on the elliptical, but not more then 10 minutes. Then do your weight work and go back to the elliptical for cardio. Not going to help your thigh pain, but will help you burn more fat based on the way the body works for energy production.

Third, I didn't see anything about stretching. Stretch, stretch, and stretch again! At least 10 minutes daily, especially after resistance training. Also, one day a week, just do a long stretchy workout like yoga or pilates. Stretching helps ease soreness. Be sure that you only stretch warm muscles though so you don't risk tearing.

Forth, RICE! Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation. Treat the pain with these steps as much as you can to help it heal. Anti-inflammatory medicines may help too, if you wish.

Finally, don't work that area until the soreness goes away (do upper body, a different type of cardio, or yoga like in point one). If it isn't gone in 3 days with no exercise, see a doctor. DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness that we feel 1-2 days after exercise) is usually gone within 3 days. Even if it is a mild muscle pull, it should be easing up within 3 days and gone within a week. Anything more then that needs to be seen by a doctor to rule out a tear of some sort.

Good luck!
  • chrisp081969
    chrisp081969 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your hip flexors need a good stretching. I had shooting pain that ran down the outer side of my leg but once I started stretching my hip flexors it doesn't hurt anymore.. do a 10 min warm up then stretch. if you need a good hip flexor stretch just google stretch and you should be able to find a couple of website that explain proper stretching. Hope this helps! :0)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I usually alter my exercise and try to do arms one day and legs another. I am not doing the leg presses every day. Now that it is colder I haven't been riding my bike so working out at the gym is the main exercise I do and I admit to overdoing it at times. I will mix up a week routine that rests muscles, maybe cardio one day, weights another, and pilates and yoga. I am going to be better at my stretches also. Thanks for all the tips.