Healthy snacks on the go

Options
What are some snacks that my wife can buy for me which are healthy?
I don't mean fruits or vegies, what I mean is stuff that is put in nice little containers neatly packed and ready to eat.
Like trail mixes to go ( but not trail mix).
Something that don't take time to prepare, you just grab and go.
Any ideas? what do you guys eat like this?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    10-20 almonds.
    Single-serving yogurt or cottage cheese cups.
    Celery or rice cakes & peanut butter (or any nut butter)....ok this takes a little time to prepare.

The problem with "grab and go" food is it's often loaded with salt, trans fats, and preservatives.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ok...so not fruits and veggies..which are great snacks that can be put neatly in little containers...LOL

Nuts..especially if you eat them one a at time...almonds and cashews are great usually a serving is 1/4 cup...around 160 cals
    Quacker rice cake snacks...they come in flavors that are quite tasty...I like caramel corn...7-8 mini's ...again eat them slowly is a nice little snack...60 cals
    goldfish crackers---55 pieces is 140 cals...55 pieces is a lot of lttle fishies so I usually do about 35 pieces and make my own 100 cal pack.
    100 cal packs of anything...yes I know there is sodium and they are procesed but they can satisfy a craving in a moderated way
    yogurt....you can't really eat and drive with yogurt though but you can sit and eat yogurt
    then my favs....take a small flour tortilla...we have a brand around here called El Milagro and one small flour tortilla is 80 cals. I spread 2 tbs os whipped cream cheese in it...70 cals...or 1 tbs of peanut butter..about 100 cals...then sprinkle in some raisins...roll it up and go...in total about a 200-260 cal snack When my hubby and I hike I will warm up some vegetarian refried beans and spread it thinly in a quesadilla with a bit of sprinkled in cheddar cheese and make bean and cheese quesadilla's...I cut them into triangles.(I use the same small flour tortillas so only 80 cals each) usually 1/2 quesadilla is enough for me for lunch and as a quick snack I could do with just one triangle....they aren't that messy and the beans have protein so help keep you feeling satisfied
    Pop up some air popped pop corn then season...I love garlic salt on my popcorn...separate into snack bags....i cup popped with no extra butter is only 20 cals....if you eat one piece at a time one cup last a while

Good luck...I hope you didn't ask about fruits and vegges because you already eat them as snacks and were looking for more options...but if you aren't...think about introducng them...baby carrots are sweet...it takes a while to chew them so you feel like you are eating a bigger portion. even if you don't love them ..sometimes I will take baby carrots...which I like but dont love, I will eat 2-3 of them before I touch the rest of lunch...it tricks me into feelig like I have eaten a larger lunch as it takes up some time and fills me up a bit...I eat the yummier stuff last and try to enjoy every little bite.
  • eyeballer
    Options
    My favorite go-to snacks tend to be granola bars, protein bars, fiber bars, etc. Prepackaged and ready to go.
  • Endless_Sky
    Options
    I love boxes of raisins, 100-calorie packs of emerald almonds, kashi granola bars, pretzels, goldfish, and of course the obvious whole pieces of fruit
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I mix together baby dill pickles, green olives, and artichoke hearts (canned in water, not the marinated-in-oil kind); cut them up and put into little containers, and add just a touch of some sort of light Italian dressing, or Girard's light champagne dressing for flavor. Low-cal, and hits your salty spot.

Jello Mousse Sensations are 60 calories each, and are easy to pack into a cooler.

Found a recipe here for spice-cake muffins: Box of spice cake mix, a can of pumpkin, and one cup water; mix, and bake muffins according to directions on the box. I get 18 muffins per batch and I believe they're about 125 calories each. I pre-wrap them in saran wrap so they're easy to grab and go.

String cheese (light versions). String cheese and half an apple is a good snack.

I also chop celery, put in little baggies, and dip them into Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, blue cheese flavor.

Hopefully those ideas may help!
  • NicCa90
    NicCa90 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i really like to make airpopped popcorn and add some other things to it..the popcorn is very low in calories and to make it taste better i always spray it with cooking spray then sprinkle either splenda and cinnamon or garlic salt or some other seasoning to add a little flavor..i add pretzels to a baggie with the popcorn or some cereal..mix it up!! i make a bunch at a time and keep them in a lunch box in my car..these are always my 100 cal snacks while im at school!!
  • shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    all great suggestions!
    now I have a whole bunch of new munchies to add to my list.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I mix together baby dill pickles, green olives, and artichoke hearts (canned in water, not the marinated-in-oil kind); cut them up and put into little containers, and add just a touch of some sort of light Italian dressing, or Girard's light champagne dressing for flavor. Low-cal, and hits your salty spot.

You'd love this recipe... a little high in sodium if you are watching that, but easy to make "healthy" in all other ways (e.g tomato sauce instead of ketchup, add extra tuna so it is a whole meal in itself). I always have jars of it in my pantry.

http://www.napastyle.com/recipe/recipe.jsp?productId=2653&parentCategoryId=614&categoryId=702&subCategoryId=734