Expense of eating well

Options
2»

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Fair enough.. but good healthy food is a HUGE thing for me so I do buy the leaner more expensive meats and organic fruits and veggies -- not just because of the fewer pesticides but also (and mostly) because it supports local farms and farming initiatives. If I can find food that is grown/produced in my province I will pay more for it than stuff that's shipped up from California because that's money that goes to my neighbours in my country and is not spent on spewing toxic exhaust fumes into the atmosphere while being driven hundreds of kilometers to end up at my grocery store.

I will scrimp and save on many things but good fresh local food is not one of them. It's all about choices and what you can live with. This is what is important for me.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I want to know what farmers markets people shop at where produce is CHEAPER than in the grocery! Here the local / FM are all like, $5 for a small basket of tomatoes or $6 for 8 peaches $1 for a bundle of carrots 1/2 the size of the $1.50 grocery store bunch, $2/lb apples.... it seems they are always twice the price of the grocery. Maybe it's because I'm not in a big city? Don't know. I grow my own wherever possible though - tomatoes, zucchinis, beans, and peppers. Then I know just what went in them and they're cheap. I don't always have the patience for them! And if we hit a good drought then they get expensive!
  • tillytil
    Options
    The trick is to do what you can. I just cannot afford to buy organic foods but it is possible to make healthier choices in the things I can buy. For example, whole wheat pastas are available at Wal Mart & instead of creamy sauces I buy red ones. I also try to buy a bag of apples even if I have to substitute fresh veggies with frozen ones.