Calorie question

Options
So I've filled in my food diary for today (I always plan my meals ahead so I know what I'm cooking for dinner) and I was almost at my calorie goal for the day, then I did my circuit and that calorie goal changed and I need to eat more? Is it important to meet the calorie goal? I don't want to add a couple 100 calories just because, but i'm not sure what to do (new to this). Also, if i don't meet my goal each day can I "bank" the calories for the weekend when my husband wants to eat out at Hometown Buffet?

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I think most of us would say eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories. IT would be helpful to know just how many calories you are allotted per day. Most importantly don't go below 1200 calories if at all possible (not a problem for me ha ha!!). I like that you are planning out your meals in advance. I have found that to be a very successful way to operate, as I use that method as well whenever possible.
  • Qtip1445
    Options
    So I've filled in my food diary for today (I always plan my meals ahead so I know what I'm cooking for dinner) and I was almost at my calorie goal for the day, then I did my circuit and that calorie goal changed and I need to eat more? Is it important to meet the calorie goal? I don't want to add a couple 100 calories just because, but i'm not sure what to do (new to this). Also, if i don't meet my goal each day can I "bank" the calories for the weekend when my husband wants to eat out at Hometown Buffet?
    What do you mean by 'your circuit?' Is that excercise? If so, then you would be able to consume more calories for your day. The more you workout, the more you can eat! :o)
  • rokikio
    Options
    The thing that has helped me the most is staying with the calories MFP suggested to me before logging exercise and I try to stay within that range.

When you exercise it adds what you burned off to the calories you can eat for that day. But you don't have to eat those calories if you feel satisfied and therefore you have a greater calorie deficit.

As far as the Hometown Buffet, well allow yourself a cheat meal if you'd like but do it within limits. And if you can, log what you ate there. Once you log it into MFP and see how many calories you ate there you will be surprised how that all adds up.

I have lost 17 pounds since I joined MFP on 10/1/2010 so sticking with the plan it gives you and logging everything does work. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • rokikio
    Options
    The thing that has helped me the most is staying with the calories MFP suggested to me before logging exercise and I try to stay within that range.

When you exercise it adds what you burned off to the calories you can eat for that day. But you don't have to eat those calories if you feel satisfied and therefore you have a greater calorie deficit.

As far as the Hometown Buffet, well allow yourself a cheat meal if you'd like but do it within limits. And if you can, log what you ate there. Once you log it into MFP and see how many calories you ate there you will be surprised how that all adds up.

I have lost 17 pounds since I joined MFP on 10/1/2010 so sticking with the plan it gives you and logging everything does work. Good luck to you!
  • lefrance12
    Options

Agreed, If you are exercising then yes, eat the cals; however, each day is set for caloric intake, you cant bank them for later consumption. This would defeat your purpose whatever your goal may be.:glasses:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    \ Also, if i don't meet my goal each day can I "bank" the calories for the weekend when my husband wants to eat out at Hometown Buffet?

i don't believe in "banking" calories... i think you should just eat mindfully the day you plan on going out and reserving the calories THAT DAY for your dinner. Calories aren't like roll-over minutes :wink:
  • dtummel
    Options
    Thanks for the help on my question. My starting calories for the day are 1200 so I shouldn't go below that (even that is stretching it some days because veggies don't have many calories and maybe that's my biggest problem-getting the calories up). I found Hometown in the database and i try to stick with the salad things (plus the guacamole...love it). The database here is great...so many things are in there that it really helps. Oh, and yes, circuit is circuit training...love doing that. Actually watch Gilad on FitTV, it's only 20 minutes, but for me that's about all the time I can squeeze in (try to do it twice on weekends, but that doesn't always work out).