Why does mfp thing lifting weights burns next to nothing?

Options
I always add my weight lifting as cardio, because I think that you MUST burn tons of calories while lifting. However If you list it under "strength training" you don't get anywhere near as much. But which is right?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - because weight-lifters spend most of their time sitting on the ends of benches between sets.

/troll
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Guilty as charged.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and log as cardio with calorie count from my HRM so hopefully it's pretty accurate.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    - because weight-lifters spend most of their time sitting on the ends of benches between sets.

/troll

That's actually pretty accurate IMHO.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I wear a HRM and log as cardio with calorie count from my HRM so hopefully it's pretty accurate.

I don't believe it. I've seen my heart rate hit 140+ bpm for doing just 30 seconds of work. I think WD = F x d would be a better way to calculate calories burnt.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It isn't.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

/troll

Thank you - yes it was meant a bit tongue in cheek but when I do sets of pullups they are damned hard but I don't list them for calorie burn because I spend most of the session resting/recovering for the next set.

I burn more in a (Ashtanga) yoga session.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

/troll

Thank you - yes it was meant a bit tongue in cheek but when I do sets of pullups they are damned hard but I don't list them for calorie burn because I spend most of the session resting/recovering for the next set.

I burn more in a (Ashtanga) yoga session.

Carl, I didn't know you did yoga.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Carl, I didn't know you did yoga.

Ditto. I thought he was a fan of a certain cartoon. ;)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I don't believe it. I've seen my heart rate hit 140+ bpm for doing just 30 seconds of work. I think WD = F x d would be a better way to calculate calories burnt.

Yay, early morning physics!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

/troll

Squats last night. Actual lifting time was under two minutes, including warm-up sets. Total recovery between sets and changing plates, closer to twenty minutes.
  • SHERMANBENEDUM
    Options
    every 100 pounds lifted is 1 calorie burned.... at least that is what they used to say....
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You lift in the gym to tear muscle fibers. You eat and hydrate outside the gym to rebuild those muscle fibers stronger and better. Those muscle fibers then burn more calories just sitting around that fat does. Don't lift weights for the calorie burn - lift them for the muscle that burns calories.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    One of the many reasons why using TDEE is better.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the weight resistance. Heavy deadlifts & squats get my heart rate in the 140's pretty easily.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the weight resistance. Heavy deadlifts & squats get my heart rate in the 140's pretty easily.

Heart rate is not a good indicator of calories burned for non steady state exercises.

yogicarl is correct - actual time 'moving' is not much unless doing a circuit/endurance type workout.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    One of the many reasons why using TDEE is better.

this, so much this
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting for calories burn at the time of the exercise......it is next to nothing. You have to look long term.