good cleanses?

Options
I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a good cleanse. I was thinking about trying that gnc cleanse that goes along with the lean shakes since i've had success with those but i wanted a second opinion. i really fell off the bandwagon this past week since I'm on break from school and yesterday I even got heart burn for the first time ever (I knew it hurt but holy cow!) so it's time to get the bad stuff out of my system and get back on track. thanks!

Replies

• ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've done a few from Master Cleanse (unbearable headache) to Raw Food (unbearable hunger) to Apple Diet (unbearable boredom) to boxes of cleanse pills (unbearable taste)!
    The best one I found hands down is the Cabbage Soup Diet.
    I veganized it with tofu on the protein days, but honestly, that soup is AWESOME for cleansing you out, its just nutrition packed vegetables cooked so you can digest them easily, use organic veggies in the soup and you will be totally cleansed, even if you just eat it for just a day or two.
    Moderation is best with cleansing or you'll just feel awful.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you really want a healthy cleanse, just juice fruits and veggies for a day or two. Then go back to your regular calorie intake. All that stuff costs more money and the ingredients are sketchy.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I am also interested in a good cleanse to jumpstart my weight loss. What types of shakes do you drink? I was going to pick up some protein shakes from Walmart later. I have no idea what to buy. I'm going to be looking for some that are low in calories and sugar of course.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I've done a few from Master Cleanse (unbearable headache) to Raw Food (unbearable hunger) to Apple Diet (unbearable boredom) to boxes of cleanse pills (unbearable taste)!
    The best one I found hands down is the Cabbage Soup Diet.
    I veganized it with tofu on the protein days, but honestly, that soup is AWESOME for cleansing you out, its just nutrition packed vegetables cooked so you can digest them easily, use organic veggies in the soup and you will be totally cleansed, even if you just eat it for just a day or two.
    Moderation is best with cleansing or you'll just feel awful.

My friend did the Master Cleanse and she said she felt great and lost 5lb in three days. If you drink caffeine and suddenly stop you will get major headaches! I might look into the Cabbage Soup Diet. It is expensive to do it? I'm looking for something cheap and natural.
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    If you're like me, I don't like something that I have to keep up with. You could do a salt water flush which only takes a couple hours of your time and it's a one time deal. I prefer it that way rather than torturing myself with an even more restricted diet.

http://www.colonzone.org/salt-water-flush.php
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Master cleanse. No headaches so far. Plus for me is that you make the stuff yourself (fresh lemon juice, cayenne pepper, 100% maple syrup and h2o). I am doing a varying of it though and eating/drinking only fruits veggies and 100% fruit/veggie juice. I will admit though that first day was hard for me. Everytime I would smell food I wanted to give in and stop doing it. Good luck!
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did the master cleanse for 7 days before and I got sooo sick of drinking the mix and not eating anything. It wasnt that I was hungry but just not actually eating anything killed me. I didnt lose any weight doing it and I didnt feel any different. Also you are in the bathroom quite a bit and when you gotta "go" you GOTTA GO! I also HATED the salt water flush you do with the master cleanse, made me almost throw up everytime I did it :(
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you really want a healthy cleanse, just juice fruits and veggies for a day or two. Then go back to your regular calorie intake. All that stuff costs more money and the ingredients are sketchy.

I'm in this camp with the supplement stores and fitness magazine info. Don't go with crazes. Go with healthy.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I'm in this camp with the supplement stores and fitness magazine info. Don't go with crazes. Go with healthy.

Sorry about the quote of my quote, but what struck me is why not just go get an enema if thats what your after? Probably safer.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are crap . . . sorry . . . but a total waste of your money and time.
    Losing weight is all about being more healthy, not just the number on the scale. These companies are in it for the bottom line and don't care about your health.
    You do not want to "jump start" weight loss but instead adopt a more healthy attitude toward your food and exercise. These companies prey upon people who want a "quick fix" but these quick fixes are temporary.
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Raw fruits and veggies for a few days is best. You can make it more interesting if you have a juicer. Experiment with fruit and veggie juice combinations.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I got my headaches on day 9 and 10 of the Master Cleanse, it wasnt caffeine withdrawal. So insanely painful I wont ever do it again. I loved the taste of the spicy lemonade especially warm but maybe I have a citric allergy.

I am 100% agreement that the best 'cleanse' are from veggies, and the reason I think the cabbage soup diet works so well is the cooked food adds satiability so you feel full & satisfied. Plus some veggies - especially tomatoes - give off more vitamins like lycophene when cooked.