whats the best way to get a flatter stomach if you suffer wi

Options
hay,
i really want to tone up my tummy but i suffer with bad back pains and sit-ups/crunches make it really hurt...:(
what else can i try?
thanks for any help x

Replies

• darknanc
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba? It has helped me a lot.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Shimmy? I've never done it buts on fitTV everyday.. may help!
  • twinzmommy09
    Options
    I'm thinking bout doing zumba!! :smile:
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    I do Zumba as well & I LOVE IT!!! Great workout!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Try planks. They are stationary, so no movement and really work the core.

Also, do lots of cardio to burn any excess fat off, because you can have great ab muscles and not be able to see them if the skin is full of fat.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    planks and running. Running is a great all around fat burner!
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try planks - like push ups without the up and down, but on your elbows. I was just looking at Utube to see some MFP people's videos, one recommended a 2 minute abs workout, when I searched on it, I found one that said "no crunch ab workout".

I also have a back issue - I found that I can do crunches laying on the couch, and I use my stomach to bring my chest up only slightly. Also leg lift crunches.

Good luck!
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Oh yea.. insanity has a cardio ab workout that doesnt involve crunches or sit ups.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Agreed Aeriel, cardio, cardio and cardio. Make sure you change it up though. There are also some electrode type equipment you can invest in if you cant use your back. I have the Contour and it is great for those days i don't feel like getting on the floor. Hope this is helpful.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i second (or third) the zumba recommendations. I'm getting my hourglass shape back & i love it!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio workouts that target the core like TurboFire. I also agree with the previous commenters about planks being great!

I've done Zumba, but the classes I took were too easy so I stopped doing them.
  • fairy06
    Options
    thanks for your help and ideas people x
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As your abs get stronger your back pain should ease up. :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    hay,
    i really want to tone up my tummy but i suffer with bad back pains and sit-ups/crunches make it really hurt...:(
    what else can i try?
    thanks for any help x
    Hip Hop Abs- check on Craig's list, I always see them there for cheaper- crunches are done standing!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Back issues can vary per person. Until your core muscles become strong you have to be careful to not trigger episodes.

One of the best exercise for a person with a bad back - WALKING

The worst exercise for a bad back - almost all the above mentioned is not good until your core is strenghtened.

Modified exercise are best.

As a person who deals with back issues and as a professional that has worked on dozens of people with bad backs. People start running and jumping around without consideration those activies will put a huge stress on back and can trigger an epsiode. Alot of hip movement or stress on lower back can be iffy.

Low impact exercise is the best. And modified abs exercises. I keep my gut sucked in as I take my walks. You will be surprised how well that works. As core gets stronger you can start to add more strenous activities.

:-)

Renee
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    and don't just focus on your abs. I have a slipped L4 and L5 and had awful back pain and sciatica, coupled with a C-section... so... no core strength at all! Working out your back and butt and keeping your hamstrings loose and toning your obliques etc will help build a base for working out your abs. I sometimes had to do some things that sort of hurt my back to get to the point where it would stop hurting though - but, even sitting still hurt it so...

One SUPER easy exercise - suck in your stomach whenever you think about it - when you are walking around or just sitting at your desk or watching TV, just constrict all your ab muscles and leave them there. It will become somewhat second nature to sort of suck in your belly when working out or walking or just being around, and it does some easy, super low impact, toning. It's a good place to start if you are completely w/out ab strength!