I have the world's WORST blender

Options
and I want a new one.

I picked up a cheap ($15 at Target) Chefmate blender for smoothies. The stupid thing won't blend a banana let alone ice. My smoothies all come out lumpy and it'm tired of it taking longer to make a smoothie than eggs and bacon in the morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on a realitively inexpensive FUNCTIONAL blender. I don't want to spend more that $50 if I can get away with it and I clearly don't know what I'm looking for as this one is such a HUGE P.O.S.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
:drinker:

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach immersion blender. It doesn't do ice, but bananas are no problem. It comes with an interchangeable whisk attachment, so I can pretty much do anything with it (except crush ice).
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I can say that I spent hundreds over the years buying cheap and on sale blenders. Finally, I purchased the Vitamix (when it was a Today's Special Value on QVC). Expensive but it works so well - even cooks/heats soup due to the powerful motor. They had easy pay (spread over 4 months) so that helped too. Good luck!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I have a hamilton beach personal blender. It does ice and makes smoothies no problem. I love it cuz you can just drink it right out of the container and there are measurements on the cup itself so you can measure right into it.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I have the Magic Bullet Blender and a Cuisinart Blender. I actually prefer the Magic Bullet for both its power and the fact that it's easy to clean!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you brought this up. We're on the market for a blender ourselves. Ours is getting older, but it's done a good job the last decade. Looking forward to more responses.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    Bought a "magic bullet" (as seen on TV) at Sears and it works great! I think I paid right at $50 for it though.(Haven't used it in a cheesy party like on the infommercial)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I got a KitcheAid Blender last year from Amazon on Cyber Monday. It was a really pricey blender for just around $50. So check out those Cyber Monday deals.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have an 'Oster' 14 speed - I only paid about $30 for it. I figured it would tide me over until I could afford a vitamix . I have now had it for over THREE YEARS, and I make smoothies almost daily, it is an AWESOME blender!
    On the 14th speed it crushes ices, liquifies leafy greens, I can even throw chunky carrots into smoothies and they are liquified in seconds!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    LMAO.gif @ magic bullet. I thought about getting one of those and just couldn't bring myself to do it.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Mine is so bad that I had to throw it out cuz I couldn't get the bottom off it to clean it. Tried for 2 months & it's jammed tight. Just chucked it :(
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    i have a crappy blender too I think it is Oster. Doesn't do ice at all.

I used to have a "smoothie maker" it had a stick you could stir with and it was awesome everything always came out "smooth".

I've heard great things about the vitamix as well.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    OK- Bed Bath and Beyond has the Ninja Master Prep Professional $59.99
    that should do the trick:wink:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Mine is an Oster - it too was only around $15 dollars at Target. Maybe we have the same blender? lol I've had it for about a year and it works awesome so far. I use it every day. Though I have to admit I just never had a need for it to do ice so I don't know if it can handle ice or not. I freeze my fruit when I make smoothies - that eliminates the need for ice. :)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton beach personal blender too and it's perfect for making a single serving smoothie. and it blends the ice amazingly. I would definitely recommend this one if you're only going to be making smoothies :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton beach personal blender too and it's perfect for making a single serving smoothie. and it blends the ice amazingly. I would definitely recommend this one if you're only going to be making smoothies :)

I saw this one when I bought mine and thought about it but I kinda wanted to be able to make my own marinara (which my blender ALSO CANNOT do).

I'm leary of the "Magic Bullet" and it's got the same draw back as the Hamilton personal it's small...

I'll look at the Oster and am intrigued by anything Ninja... Thanks for all the suggestions!!

You guys ROCK!! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I do mine in my food processor!! $39 and it chops my fingers if I don't get them out of the way!!!!

I pulse the ice first, then add my ingredients. Mmm, gonna be working on those this week
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I saw this one when I bought mine and thought about it but I kinda wanted to be able to make my own marinara (which my blender ALSO CANNOT do).

I'm leary of the "Magic Bullet" and it's got the same draw back as the Hamilton personal it's small...

I'll look at the Oster and am intrigued by anything Ninja... Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Oh, and I would return the blender you bought. If it doesn't do what it is purchased to do, it needs to be returned. I mean, I can shake my own chocolate milk you know? I do not need a $15 machine to do that!! :laugh:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Oh, and I would return the blender you bought. If it doesn't do what it is purchased to do, it needs to be returned. I mean, I can shake my own chocolate milk you know? I do not need a $15 machine to do that!! :laugh:

Right?!?!