Calling all nurses/gyno's

Options
My husband and I are trying to concieve. I just got a positive digital pregnancy test and then right after got a negitive one... What does that mean! Could it be because my urine wasn't as concentrated? What should I think? My doctor isn't open until monday...

Replies

• simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    if you got a + digital, you are most likely pregnant. The neg. one after probably meant that your urine wasn't held long enough to supply a + result again since it's likely you are very early in your pregnancy! Keep us posted!! Congrats :)

edited to add: I have five kids of my own and am a nursing student- so I should be a pretty good call here! :)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    You are right I shouldn't be far a long at all. My period was suposed to come either today or tommorow so I was actually worried I was testing early. I am really hoping thats true! Going to test again either later tonight or the morning. It was ten minutes after the first so it wasn't held long!
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal.. With home pregnancy tests it is possible to get a false negative, but not a false postive. HCG is a hormone produced only to maintain a pregancy. It is this hormone that your home pregancy test looks for. You may have had a diluted specimen when you got the negative. The best test, is an ultrasound of course, but your doc/arnp will do a blood test that checks for the same hormone as the home test did. But, It also measures the amount of hormone as well, which is also important in maintaining a pregancy. So you have the hormone. That means there is a pregnancy!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/falsepositive.html

information on false positive tests (it says false positive is pretty rare). :)
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i think you're pregnant! (congratulations!) Wait and test first thing in the morning.
    I'm so happy for you! :)
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You ARE pregnant, girl! Barely, but pregnant. There are no false positives, only false negatives!! I found that out when we got pregnant with our first. Keep us posted!!

Susan
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I agree preg! Congrads!!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, but wait till morning to test again! Congrats!:flowerforyou:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am feeling better after hearing more people say that. I will keep you posted and will test again in the morning!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I agree never heard of a false positive.I would test 1st thing in the am when the urine is more concentrated.
    Good luck!!
    jane
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I just tested and got another positive! Stopping there and calling my doctor tommorow. I am so excited. It is our 2nd wedding anniversary today too. What a gift!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! :flowerforyou: Make sure your taking your prenatals, folic acid is especially important at the very early stages.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Yay on TWO positive tests! And on your anniversary too! Happy for you!
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy!! ~ Ive been trying for a year however no sucess... but i can imagen how happy you are now :happy: .

All the best for a healthy and happy 9 months! x
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    congrats again! I agree with the prenatals. Even OTC ones are good- make sure you are eating right and don't worry about weight loss at this point until after your new little one arrives! Just make good food choices and hopefully you won't gain more than the 25-35 lbs during pregnancy!

Congrats again! How exciting to find out on your anniversary! :)
  • AnneElise
    Options
    congrats again! I agree with the prenatals. Even OTC ones are good- make sure you are eating right and don't worry about weight loss at this point until after your new little one arrives! Just make good food choices and hopefully you won't gain more than the 25-35 lbs during pregnancy!

Congrats again! How exciting to find out on your anniversary! :)

Thanks. I am calling my doctor tommorow to get some prenatals. I usually eat okay but I am going to try to add some more fruits and veggies in now. I am in a healthy weight so loosing weight isn't going to be a priority... just being healthy! It was very fun to find out today. We are just feeling so blessed.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Congrats! No such thing as a false positive....
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: congrats and happy anniversary!!!! :heart:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, make a doctor's appointment. If you are pregnant, you'll still need to get pregnancy vitamin prescriptions and a checkup.:-D

shannon

PS Let us know the results!