What beer has the least amount of calories but the most alco

Options
2»

Replies

• rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is one of the most useful posts/questions I've seen so far on MFP. Thank you for thinking of asking it!
  • deblu
    deblu Posts: 44
    Options
    Sure thing!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Diet Root Beer = 0 calories
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I agree, deblu, drinking every once in a while (like once every two weeks or so) won't hurt your weight loss goals. Red wine is said to be healthy for the heart in moderation. Now if you drink everyday then you do have a problem and would need help (rehab)
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Best bang for your calorie but would have to be hard alcohol. I just drink some Vodka when I am in the mood to drink, which is 69cal.
  • deblu
    deblu Posts: 44
    Options
    Well, I definitely don't drink everyday. Once or twice a week and only a few drinks. I could probably cut back though.
  • I used to drink every weekend but that stopped about a year ago, now it's normally once or twice a month...my sister brought my back a bottle of 63% Jamaican rum when she went to Jamaica, if I didn't have to work at 9am tomorrow...
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    if i have a drink, it's Molson 67 for beer and vodka water for liquor.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Found this on Eat this, Not that article. Never had Beck's light before, maybe it's worth a try?... It beats the MGD 64's alcohol content.

Worst Light Beer
    Light beers generally range from 95 to 110 calories, but the Sam Adams Light contains 124. Kind of defeats the purpose of a light beer, especially when you can choose a regular Guinness Draught for just one more calorie. Choose a true light beer: Beck's contains 60 fewer calories than the Sam Adams (that's almost as little as one-half the caloric impact!).

Not That!
    Sam Adams Light
    124 calories
    9.7 g carbs

Drink This Instead!
    Beck's Light
    64 calories
    3.9 g carbs
    3.8% alcohol by volume
  • seyserf
    Options
    Google "efficient drinker" It's a site that answers that exact question by identifying which beers get the highest % of calories from alcohol. Same for wine and liquor. And fwiw, hard liquor is the best choice in this regard.
  • petersonj78
    Options
    this don't have much to do with this but I'm eating about 1480 for calories I'm 33 and 5'10 male weighing 188 I have lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks and when I was doing the P90X i lost 60 lbs in five weeks but gained no muscle and did not lose my stomach I know I can't target certain areas but I weighed 160lbs how much smaller do I need to be before the stomach goes away for my height the recommend I weigh between 155- and 172 i think that's crazy How do I get rid of my stomach other then lypo which a not enough money and b don't have that much fat I use to drink bud heavy and I mean alot of it.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I love this question... Guiness is a good choice.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ok, Folks, I'm a brewer so here's my input:

First a few misconceptions:
    1) Corona has gluten. Any beer with barley or wheat has gluten. Only sorghum beers like Anheuser-Busch's Redbridge or or craft brews made without wheat or barley are truly gluten free. While it is true that light beers will have less - they have less of EVERYTHING - if you truly have gluten allergies you don't have many choices.

2) Beer is not high in sodium. With the exception of a few niche styles that are hard to find, beer is not a salty beverage by any normal definition of the term.

As for the original question, it's hard to get away from calories when you talk alcohol because the alcohol itself has 7 Cal/gram. Almost anything else you add in the way of flavor or texture is going to increase that further. So like others have said, spirits are your best choice. A Manhattan with two shots of whisky and one of vermouth has less than 200 Calories, but with a significant slug of ethanol. Any spirit with diet mixers is good, but be careful of tonic water - it's quite high in calories.

If you want beer (and who doesn't?) stay way from the 55's and the 64's and such because as you've realized they are just a scam. We used to say that light beers were the best idea the breweries ever had because they got to use half the ingredients and sell it at the same price as regular beer. These new ultra-light beers have taken that a step further as they are literally adding carbonated water to stronger finished beers to get that 64 or 55 calorie number on the label . It's a huge cash cow for the macro breweries and you don't gain anything but more trips to the bathroom by drinking two 55's vs a single "regular" beer. Seyserf's efficient drinker website is a good resource, but it doesn't take cost into account, just calories and alcohol. My personal favorite by far is Mich Ultra Amber because it has some taste and is still pretty calorie and cost efficient.

If you don't have the list in front of you, the general rule is the dryer the beer, the lower calorie it will be. The more mouthfeel/thickness/body the beer has, the higher calories. Color isn't very meaningful; it CAN be an indicator, but there are so many exceptions as to make any rule useless. Descriptions that talk about "caramel malts" tend to be higher than those that talk about "roasted malts" or "kilned malts."

And if you're into more "interesting" beers, some of the great big beers packed with taste can be pretty efficient, too. Belgians tend to be very, very dry as a rule, and stouts generally aren't too bad. In those cases, though, you have to treat it like a dessert and have the calorie budget to handle 300+ calories that day (realizing that there can be 3+ "beers" worth of alcohol in that one bottle) and you have to have the willpower to STOP at that one bottle...

If anybody has any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Edit: I didn't notice how old this original post was. :blushing:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you're really only drinking once a week, how about you work your butt off for some extra exercise calories and enjoy a delicious (and high ABV) beer?

"Lite" beers are not worth it, IMO. If you want a drink, make it a treat and a wortwhile one, and have a regular calorie beer with some flavour.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the caloric content of beer is a function of the original amount of sugars, and the final amount of sugars plus alcohol after fermentation. The more fermentable sugars in a wort (aka unfermented beer, pronounced "wert"), the higher your alcohol content and calorie content. It's a necessary evil :)
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra is good

My favorite...
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    definitely not the o'douls...:drinker: if you drink beer, forget the cals and just enjoy :drinker:
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    definitely not the o'douls...:drinker: if you drink beer, forget the cals and just enjoy :drinker:

btw, my favs are heineken and stella.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    screw all that light low cal tasteless wanna be beer. Work a little harder, have a real beer!! That's my motto.

Youngs Pure Luxury Double Chocolate Stout & Boddingtons Pub Ale are my Favorites. I cant ever ever go back to drinking domestic swill