Gym Beginner

Options
redbreast
redbreast Posts: 11 Member
Hi, I have about 30lbs to lose but mostly I want to feel healthy and confident. At the moment I look like a marshmallow but I'd love to look strong and toned so I realise that only exercise, as well as good diet, can achieve this... but I hate exercise. I've read a thread on here about how a lot of people dislike exercise but do it because that's what you have to do and I respect this mentality a lot, it's something I need to work on; at the moment if I don't want to do something I just don't and then I'm annoyed at myself.
Anyway, enough waffling. I'm about to head to the gym this afternoon after rejoining, again! But I never know what to do when I get there. Can anyone recommend a good combo of cardio and weights or somewhere I can find a good beginners plan? I like weights but don't know how best to use them. I also know cardio is important for fitness but don't know how much is a useful amount etc. Basically pretty clueless. I also find the (very few) 'trainers' that are are the gym quite intimidating and not that approachable to ask these things - it's a PureGym so they're not really that 'on hand'.

Thanks for reading my rant, hope someone can help. Cheers x

Replies

• SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    seriously, get one of the P90x workout programs. It will teach you proper form for many types of lifts. It will show you many exercises that can be done using your body weight. it will teach you how modify your lifts so that you engage your core if you so choose. it will teach you basic stretching and warming up. It'll show you various cardio and plyometric routines. Once you have all of this down you can move on to other things such as powerlifting, more intermediate strength training, etc...

Imo this is a more cost effective and efficient method of learning about weight resistance. The only question you need to ask yourself is if you can motivate yourself at home or do you need to be in a gym around other people to do that.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    seriously, get one of the P90x workout programs. It will teach you proper form for many types of lifts. It will show you many exercises that can be done using your body weight. it will teach you how modify your lifts so that you engage your core if you so choose. it will teach you basic stretching and warming up. It'll show you various cardio and plyometric routines. Once you have all of this down you can move on to other things such as powerlifting, more intermediate strength training, etc...

Imo this is a more cost effective and efficient method of learning about weight resistance. The only question you need to ask yourself is if you can motivate yourself at home or do you need to be in a gym around other people to do that.
    Perfect answer! I wouldn't have even thought about that, I was just going to say to try different exercises until she finds one she loves. I'm in my 8th week of p90x, and I love what it taught me, and how strong I've become. I also love that everyday is a different exercise. :)
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You could also pick up New Rules of Lifting. That book has workout plans, exercises are described and show pictures as well. It explains a lot and by the end of the book, you may find that you aren't so intimidated by the gym and what to do, when to do and how much to do.

IMO, New Rules is a great beginner guide. Best of luck to you.
  • redbreast
    Options
    Thanks for reply. Is P90x a home DVD workout? I have a few DVDs but just don't have the space to do them so really need to do a gym based workout. I don't mind it once I'm there if I know what I'm doing, just find it hard to get off my a**e to get there.
  • redbreast
    Options
    Book sounds good, I'll check it out
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply. Is P90x a home DVD workout? I have a few DVDs but just don't have the space to do them so really need to do a gym based workout. I don't mind it once I'm there if I know what I'm doing, just find it hard to get off my a**e to get there.
    Yes, P90x is a DVD program. You don't need a whole lot of space to do it, but possibly one of the DVDs you need a bit more room. My house isn't huge, and I have no issues with space for it.