New Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookie Recipe

Options
Sweet13_Princess
Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
I adapted a recipe that was originally posted on here and tried to make it healthier. I just sampled the results and the cookies are really good.... and molasses aren't even my favorites! If anyone can figure out the calorie count, let me know.

Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies
Makes: 48 1-cookie servings
Prep Time: 25 Minutes + 1 hour chilling
Bake Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:
1/3 c. margarine, softened
2/3 c. Splenda brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg
¼ c. dark molasses
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. flax/bran (I tried bran)
¼ c. white Splenda sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:
Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; beat until combined. Beat in egg and molasses. Beat in as much of the all-purpose and whole wheat flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Combine with the granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until set and tops are cracked. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!
Shannon

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can figure out any recipe you like with the recipe tab in the food section.:smile:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Go to this website: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

type in all the ingredients and the number of servings and it will give you your calorie counts.

Time saving tip: put the dough in the freezer for 30 minutes and it is ready to roll. I do it every year with my gingerbread and sugar cookies.

The recipe looks really good, I can't wait to try it!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump. I'l give 'em a try in a bit
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I adapted a recipe that was originally posted on here and tried to make it healthier. I just sampled the results and the cookies are really good.... and molasses aren't even my favorites! If anyone can figure out the calorie count, let me know.

Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies
    Makes: 48 1-cookie servings
    Prep Time: 25 Minutes + 1 hour chilling
    Bake Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:
    1/3 c. margarine, softened
    2/3 c. Splenda brown sugar
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 egg
    ¼ c. dark molasses
    1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    ¼ c. flax/bran (I tried bran)
    ¼ c. white Splenda sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:
    Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; beat until combined. Beat in egg and molasses. Beat in as much of the all-purpose and whole wheat flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Combine with the granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until set and tops are cracked. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!
    Shannon

Here is the calorie lowdown, if you use bran in it. This is PER cookie:

54 calories
    1.4g fat (no trans)
    4mg cholesterol
    44mg sodium
    8.7 carbohydrates
    4.6 g sugars
    0.7 g protein