Is 40/30/30 (protein/fat/carbs) ok?

Options
Muscleflex79
Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
I've been looking around no here for this answer, but couldn't find any posts on it.

If my goals are fat loss (while maintaining muscle) is this an ok macro split?? I lift heavy weights regularly and play sports (I don't find that I'm low energy or anything with the lower amount of carbs). All the macro splits I read about seem to have higher amounts of carbs than this, so wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't be doing this split??

Thanks.

Replies

• Jerry138889
    Jerry138889 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's the ratio I've been instructed to use as well. I've done tons of reading over at ironaddicts too (so much to read!) and 40/30/30 seems to be very good.
  • Jerry138889
    Jerry138889 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    May I ask what you're eating for your fats? It's the hardest macro to hit for me, even with peanuts and cheese and the like.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ratio's do not matter (it is a outdated method), it's about hitting your minimal fats and protein. The rest can be filled in with any marco you like. The minimum fats per lbs is 0,4 grams if i remember correctly and around 0.8-1,2 per lbs for protein.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yeap, that's a good ratio. Although I prefer 50/30/20. However it's hard to get that much protein from whole foods without supplementing with protein powder.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30, but it is for me about the protein and fat. At least 50gs fat per day and 100+ Protein per day, and I fill in the rest for carbs. The 40/30/30 pretty much falls in line with that for me.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    in general "40/30/30" means 40% carbs...

carbs/fat/protein is the standard order of quoting macros.

if you are doing 40 protein, you should say 30/30/40 to avoid confusion.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    May I ask what you're eating for your fats? It's the hardest macro to hit for me, even with peanuts and cheese and the like.
    to get my good fats i eat avocado, olives, evoo, coconut oil :)
    generally if i add a 1/4 or half avocado or couple of servings of olives into my day I am good to go :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Really? It's usually not hard to find fat, just have some nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc), cheese sticks, whole fat dairy products, EVOO, butter, etc.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    I'm often way low on the fat too - anytime I am way under I throw in some nuts to get it up. Cheese and extra virgin olive oil (like others suggested) are also great.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    in general "40/30/30" means 40% carbs...

carbs/fat/protein is the standard order of quoting macros.

if you are doing 40 protein, you should say 30/30/40 to avoid confusion.

Thanks for that clarification - I guess that is why I have only been finding the carbs/fat/protein breakdown when I search 40/30/30!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just know that New Rules of Lifting recommends 40 carbs/ 30 protein / 30 fat. Not sure what order to write that in...

I believe they explain that balance is generally a good thing, that 30% protein is more than you think and most people don't consume enough of it, and 40% carbs is because people typically get depressed or disillusioned if they don't eat enough carbs. Just what the book told me...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ratio's do not matter (it is a outdated method), it's about hitting your minimal fats and protein. The rest can be filled in with any marco you like. The minimum fats per lbs is 0,4 grams if i remember correctly and around 0.8-1,2 per lbs for protein.

This is solid advice, although I'll add it's per lean pound, not just per pound. Your protein needs are based around your LBM and your exercise routine - not your total caloric intake. As such, 40% protein may be too much or it may be too little. If I'm bulking at 3200+ calories/day, 40% protein is over 300 g of protein per day and it's simply stupid to eat that much chicken. On the other hand, if I chose to do a PSMF, I may eat 50% or more of my calories every day from lean protein sources. Percentages are only a good idea if you can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes estimating your lean body mass and doing some basic math.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    thanks for the feedback - curious if anyone else has been eating these ratios ??
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I lift and I need carbs to be able to do anything so I do 50-60% carbs, 20-25% protein and whatever's left fat. Generally I can gain lean muscle and drop fat at 50carb 25protein and 25fat and feel good
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I started based on that (did NROL a few years ago and did really well) and when I was lifting it was perfect.

But I try for 40/35/25, because I am not strength training right now and 30% protein was ridiculous for my activity level. And I have NO problem getting fats, I am usually going a smidge over 35%?

I get fats from nuts, cheese, and butter. I also eat full fat greek yogurt and whole milk. I did primal for a while and got in the full fat habit, and I'm not going back. Usually when they take out fat they have to replace it with something...That and I have a tiny toddler in the house who needs all the fat he can get. He was a preemie and babies and toddlers need fat for brain development, so I don't buy low fat foods. And I'm still breastfeeding, I need fat for that too!

I'm almost never hungry anymore, and sometimes forget to eat my snacks. This is bad though, because if I am too far under on my calories my milk supply takes a dip the next day. It's a delicate balance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just to put things into perspective regarding using percentages. I have trouble hitting my protein target so I stick to a solid 60-80 and sometimes 100 grams per day regardless of my total calories. Having 100 grams when I happen to eat a 1000 calories puts my protein intake at 40%. Having 100 grams when I happen to eat 2500 calories puts my intake at 16%. See why percentages are not reliable unless your calorie intake is extremely stable?
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    very true...during the week I stick to my macros and calories (1500 calories per day) and hitting 150g protein so I'm right at the 40%. On the weekends, however, I try to stick close to the calories (sometimes a bit over), but dont worry about the macros - just calculated my protein and it is closer to 16% on those days! I see what everyone is saying now regarding % not being as reliable.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters regarding 40/30/30 can be misleading and lead to over indulging on some of the macros if the goals are changed.

I would try a method of figuring out what exactly you need based on your current BMR, LBM. Multiply the rate of activity with the rate of BMR. You would either add or subtract these values based on whether your cutting or bulking.

Below is the method I've been using to determine my calorie and macro needs with great results.

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Multiply the below values with the BMR value:

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

So for example,

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2
    Lightly Active = BMR x 1.3
    Extremely active = BMR x 2.2

and so on....

If you're cutting, one would subtract the values to determine the total calories necessary.

If cutting while sedentary:
    Cals = Sedentary - (Sedentary x .20)

If you're bulking, one would add the values to determine the total calories necessary.

If bulking while sedentary:
    Cals = Sedentary + (Sedentary x .20)

Macros:

Protein: 1 - 1.25/pound
    Fats: .4 - 1/pound

carb cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams above x 4] + [fat grams above x 9])
    carb grams = (above cals)/ 4