Weight lifting for beginners

Options
Hi all, I'm growing tired of the weight machines at my gym and would really like to venture into the free weight section. The problem is, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I go to Planet Fitness and there really aren't trainers around, and everyone who IS in the free weight area looks in the zone and I don't want to bother them with really basic questions. I'm a pretty shy person and the thought of just going up to someone when I'm a total noob makes me panic.

Can anyone provide any links of photos, videos, anything really of what to do? I'd like to get some basic routines down before I just start picking things up and putting them back down.

Replies

• tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend here! Strong Lifts is a great program & New Rules of Lifting for Women

Happy lifting!
  • VintageSunburst
    Options
    Why not take it slowly.

Add or Replace a couple exercises with some free weights exercises. For example, dump the bicep curls machine and do curls on a bench with a curling bar (its bent in the left and right hand positions), and possibly introduce a bench press, Then, move on from there.

Leave the squat racks and other large muscle group free weights alone until you can find someone to give you some guidance.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is available online. It helps you set up a good program.

Google for videos to watch form.

Start out with just the bar until you know you have your form right. Then add weights and follow the progression of the program.

Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe has great illustrations and explanations of correct form.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    look up Starting Strength or Stronglifts

you may want to go to a different gym btw - from what i've heard PF is not very barbell friendly (i assume you are talking about barbell instead of dumbell. if not it might be worth reconsidering)
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I went to bodybuilding.com when I was learning and looked up proper form or how to do a specific exercise for different muscle groups. They have videos on there too for men and women.

Or you can always start a program like Simply Shredded or The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    look up Starting Strength or Stronglifts

you may want to go to a different gym btw - from what i've heard PF is not very barbell friendly (i assume you are talking about barbell instead of dumbell. if not it might be worth reconsidering)

Ehhhh lets see how well I do beginning. I like PF for the cheapness and hours, but even I'll admit they're not weight-friendly.

Thanks everyone!
  • ashleyd1210
    ashleyd1210 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • huntermaz
    huntermaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great program to start, very simple. Then you cold move into Ice Cream 5x5, just google it.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe has great illustrations and explanations of correct form.

^^^^^^This!!!! If you are going to start lifting weights buy this book and read it cover to cover. Take notes, read it again, learn as much as you can and profit. If you study this book you will know more about adaptive theory and strength training than 99% of lifters.