Crystal Light

Options
So, I drink nothing but water all the time. Soda no longer has any appeal to me. Sometimes though, water becomes almost impossible to drink, and thats when I turn to Crystal Light. I've heard some people say things about how artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but I haven't really heard why. Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

Replies

• kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I say meh watevers >_< I drink Crystal Light every now and then. Mostly I drink the off brand stuff that is 0 calories.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I believe that in moderation anything is fine, but bear in mind that the more chemicals you consume, the more effects you will have (especially if chemicals are given a chance to react with one another in the body). I do try to stay away, but I'm not heavily restrictive on this issue.

If you do a google search on any of the sweetners (I don't remember which one is in Crystal Light), you'll find lots and lots of evidence. Bear in mind that chemical sweetners are relatively new and long term effects of most of them have not been studied thoroughly enough to state definitively negative or positive effects.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Haha, there's lots of opinions out there--brace yourself!

Personally, I figure as long as you're not using it *all* the time *every* day, no biggie. Better that you're still drinking water rather than drinking soda...
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of different positions out there, but I trust this website:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe?page=2

'"Congress said no to the [original call for a] ban due to backlash but stated that there has to be a warning," ACSH's Kava recalls. "More recently, Congress de-listed saccharin as very high doses may cause bladder cancer in male rats -- not in female rats or anyone else," she says. According to the National Cancer Institute, there's no scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer.'

I prefer water, but really like Crystal Light.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Aspartame overdoses can mimic MS! I read an article about a lady who drank a lot of diet pop and it was just too much for her system & all the docs could say was it looked like MS, but wasn't, and that there was nothing they could do about it. Sister or somebody told her to try going off diet pop, she did, and her symptoms vanished!
  • Jenna_D
    Options
    Basically, it all boils down to the fact that they are artificial - manufactured "products" that supposedly take the place of sugar. Many of these products have some part or ingredient to them that is toxic in nature, though not necessarily to humans (i.e. Saccharine was linked to cancer in rats, and years of research later was discovered that something unique to rat urine triggered the bladder cancer with saccharine, so the same response really shouldn't exist in humans). Aspartame was accused of similar health hazards, and now the newest one that has invaded all low-cal products is sucralose (aka Splenda). Many times there is some toxic ingredient, but the argument is that it would have to be consumed in huge quantities in order to cause damage, or that because of the process used to make the sweetener, or the way our bodies metabolize it, it's not harmful to humans. Not sure what kind of levels we're talking about, but it is a little scary when you consider how many products contain artificial sweeteners these days. The FDA does mandate all artificial sweeteners, but many times that means "healthy until proven otherwise", as opposed to the other way around.

However, for many people the biggest problem with artificial sweeteners is that they may actually cause weight GAIN, when for the most part we use them to try to lose weight. Animal studies have supported this conclusion. In our bodies, a sweet taste (artificial or otherwise) induces an insulin response, which causes blood sugar to be stored in tissues (including fat), but because blood sugar does not increase with artificial sugars, there is hypoglycemia and increased food intake the next time there is a meal. In one rat study, the rats given sweeteners steadily increased calorie intake over time, which resulted in increased body weight, and increased fat.

All that said, I still use artificial sweeteners, but try to limit my exposure. I surely don't cook with them, but you really can't completely avoid them these days. I don't buy sugar-free ice cream or other products that rely solely on AS's. I think it's more important to learn moderation and have just a little bit of the real stuff. I've had Crystal Light before, but treat it the same as the high-sugar stuff, and don't drink more than a cup.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I found "Propel" better. Not so much artificial or HF corn syrup. It comes in powder so you can add it to a reusable bottle instead of buying plastic. More benefits, too, with vitamines, no colors or additives. I can feel good about drinking it. Almost like it's an improvement on healthy water.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't personally drink Crystal Light or any other drink mixes, but I think I recall my BIL talking about a product sold at Walmart that was along the same lines as Crystal Light, but it was sweatened with Stevia, which is a natural sweatener. I want to say that the product name is maybe Zinger or Zingers??? He did say that he found it in the tea aisle and that it was a box of the single serve packs that you add directly to a bottle of water. Not sure if this is helpful or not, or if Walmart still carries the product, or if it is actually called Zinger(s), but for anyone who is interested, it wouldn't be too hard to check the tea aisle!
  • CaroseH
    Options
    This isn't about artificial sweeteners, but a good substitute that I've found when water is just not appealing and you want something sweet or fruity is the unsweetened passion iced tea at starbucks. You can buy a box and make it at home, and it tastes so refreshing and fruity without any sugar or anything it's amazing! That's my fall-back! :) And zero calories! :)