Pasta

Options
Hanlonx
Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
Hey!

Can anyone advise if wholewheat pasta is a good option for lunch for weight loss? Currently having wholewheat pasta, red/green pesto, pepper and red onion.. is this a healthy lunch choice? (I'm avoid all white carbs!)

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros. pasta is pasta is pasta, whole wheat or not, it's still heavy. Just make it fit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    All pasta is an excellent option for weight loss.

Provided you eat it appropriately. Eat whatever kind you prefer, just not that shirataki crap.
  • amarie1102
    Options
    Yes, pasta is pasta. Whole wheat only means that the carbohydrate in the pasta is abosorbed slower and won't spike your sugar levels as quickly. It doesn't mean it's less amount of carbohydrate or less calories. 1/2 C of pasta is almost two servings of carbohydrates. Measure it out on a smaller plate because it doesn't look like much. Load your plate with lots of salad and eat your pasta last. Be aware that red sauces also have lots of sugar in them naturally.
  • SamDavis48
    SamDavis48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Did you measure the pasta and toppings properly? Does the serving you're eating fit into your macro and calorie goals for the day? If the answer is yes to these questions your weight loss will be just fine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All pasta is an excellent option for weight loss.

Provided you eat it appropriately. Eat whatever kind you prefer, just not that shirataki crap.

that's the biggest issue- portioning appropriately.

I cannot. I am NEVER full when I eat pasta- I get stuffed feeling- but still hungry.
    So now I just don't eat it- spaghetti squash for the win!!!
  • Hanlonx
    Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It comes under 300cal. I'm only having it this week as I am late shift at work and it keeps me fuller longer! It fits in my macros fine, just wondering if I could switch it for something healthier.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The difference between whole grain pasta and "regular" is pretty much negligible.

As long as you don't over eat- you're fine.

The next option would be subbing out pasta for spaghetti squash.
  • amarie1102
    Options
    I absolutely love spagetti squash. I am a diabetic and this was suggested to me by a nutritionist. This is a great option for anyone who loves pasta but doesn't like that bloated feeling after. I gave up pasta and white flour products also. You can also make Lasagna with eggplant. This is also a delicious low carb "pasta" dish.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've continued to eat pasta during my entire weight loss process. As everyone else has said, it's mostly a portion control issue. Make sure to weigh it before you boil.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try Explore Asian's Black Bean Spaghetti. The ingredients are Black Beans and Water. I just discovered it and love it. It can work in both asian and italian meals.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, for many people, it's protein and fat which keeps them fuller for longer.

I find that rice and pasta (regardless of whether it's white or brown) doesn't leave my hunger satisfied as long as say, two eggs or a chicken breast does.

I usually prefer to pass on the pasta, but at the end of the day, it comes down to calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1/2 C of pasta is almost two servings of carbohydrates. Measure it out on a smaller plate because it doesn't look like much. Load your plate with lots of salad and eat your pasta last. Be aware that red sauces also have lots of sugar in them naturally.

What's a "serving" of carbs? Is this a MyPlate thing? 1/2 cup of dry pasta is about 21 grams of carbs, and is actually quite a good amount cooked. If one has a calorie limit of 1500 and eats 40% carbs (which isn't all that high--it's lower than the MFP default), one would aim for about 150 grams of carbs, and 21 grams is only 14% of that, which isn't all that much for what has to be the major carb source at one meal. Sure, if one is doing low carb pasta isn't the easiest choice, but otherwise it's pretty similar to a serving of any standard starchy side (like potatoes or sweet potatoes, which seem to be favored by even those who are anti other starches).

Salad is great, but why not make a vegetable-heavy sauce if you prefer that? That's one way in which pasta dishes can be quite nutrient dense, as well as quick and easy.

By "red sauces" have lots of sugar in them naturally you mean that tomatoes do? It really doesn't seem like that much to me if you look at serving size.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I prefer wholewheat pasta, but it's a taste thing (it can carry much more robust flavors) and it's easier to cook IMO (it's more forgiving since it doesn't fall apart like regular pasta if you get distracted for a minute), and you can stir it with whole chunks of vegetables with it still holding its shape, which helps with the portion control. There is more fiber but not tons more.

It's the same as everything else though. It's great for weight loss as long as you don't eat more calories overall than you're burning.