Cooking Challenge: Turkey

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Welcome to the eighth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from TrainingWithTonya, the winner of the okra challenge with her sauteed okra.

turkey-leftovers-300x199.jpg

This week's challenge is TURKEY!

Obviously this theme is kind of aimed at the fact that Americans just finished with Thanksgiving and with those big birds cooked may have lots of leftover poultry to use. But, to include our friends from worldwide this challenge is open to ANY kind of turkey (ground turkey, or whatever other turkey you would use in a dish.)

Turkey is low in fat and high in protein and a source of iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and B vitamins.

Tryptophan, the amino acid in turkey known to make you sleepy, also helps makes serotonin - which boosts your mood, reduces sugar cravings, and regulates sleep patterns.

Turkey (100 grams / 3.5 oz)
104 calories
2 grams fat
43 mg cholesterol
1015 mg sodium
302 mg potassium
4 grams carbs
1 grams dietary fiber
4 grams sugar
17 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday December 4th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• ah, what about those of us who don't eat meat...? (And no, tofurkey is not available in this country :tongue:)
  • inskydiamonds
    ah, what about those of us who don't eat meat...? (And no, tofurkey is not available in this country :tongue:)

Ah :(
    I'm sorry, I wasn't the one who picked the challenge and the winner gets to choose. So hopefully next week's, you can play too!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Turkey's a no-go for me either. Can't stand it :S Good luck everyone!
  • inskydiamonds
    I hope people enter this week's challenge! Mine should be up Friday!
  • meagalayne
    Liz - I'll try to make something with ground turkey! Or I'll just post my chili recipe - I plan on having leftovers tomorrow :)
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Turkey Stock: (I will add some recipes for different soups later)

Ingredients:

1 turkey carcass
    3 sprigs parsley
    2 medium onions, cubed with skins left on
    3 ribs celery, cut up (don't throw out the tops use them)
    2 medium carrots, cut up
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
    dash pepper

Rules:

Never let your stock come to more than a low simmer.
    The more you clear the foam/crud from the top, the clearer your stock will be.
    If you prefer a "dark" stock, place turkey carcass and veggies in a very hot oven for 45 minutes before following direction below.
    Have containers and refrigerator room available to cool stock quickly before freezing.
    The more turkey on the carcass, the better. **Don't leave huge amounts though, take that off to place into the soup!!

Preparation:

Break up carcass and place in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
    Add remaining ingredients; cover with cold water.
    Bring to a simmer over medium low heat.
    Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 to 4 to 6 to 8 hours.
    Cool slightly; strain broth into a bowl.
    Refrigerate then remove fat from top of broth.
    Freeze in portion size containers.

56c49732.jpg
    **picture is not mine. My stock is in the pot now but I wanted to show that it turns to a "gel". That is very important. The stock is later added to more water to make the soup or used full strength for a very rich flavor.

Nutrition:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 54
    Calories from Fat 4

Total Fat 0.5g
    Saturated Fat 0.2g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Sodium 41mg
    Potassium 304mg
    Total Carbohydrate 13.4g
    Dietary Fiber 4.6g
    Sugars 2.4g
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Here's my recipe... Turkey Tacos

I use 3" mini corn tortillas and place them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven lightly sprayed with cooking spray for 10-15 min. till crunchy.

Use left over turkey.

Add 3 cups chopped turkey, 1.5 cups chopped, green chilies, 1 can low sodium chicken broth, and simmer.
    Meanwhile, in a bowl add one can of rinsed black beans, rinsed corn, 1/2 cup chopped green chilies or jalapeno, onion, and diced tomatoes. Mix well and season with pepper (salsa topping).

Top your crunchy shells, with your turkey chili mix, 1/4 c. 2% mexican shredded cheese, and black bean and corn salsa

This is what I am making for dinner tonight. :) According to our recipe database here at MFP this recipe has 420 calories per serving. That's 3 tacos. And makes enough for 6.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Hope to get one in later in week.
  • We are having Turkey Ragu with Plenta for supper tonight so figured I would share this recipie.

NAME OF RECIPE: Turkey Ragu with Plenta
    INGREDIENTS: 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 pounds ground turkey
    2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup store-bought shredded carrot or 1 small carrot, finely chopped
    2 ribs celery from the heart with leafy greens, finely chopped
    1 fresh bay leaf
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup red wine
    4 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
    1 (28-ounce can) San Marzano tomatoes
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup quick cooking polenta
    1/3 to 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
    A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped

DIRECTIONS: In a heavy deep skillet heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high to high heat, add meat, season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, brown the meat and crumble, 7 to 8 minutes. Add rosemary, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaf and cook to soften 7 to 8 minutes more. Stir in tomato paste 1 minute then red wine, stir a minute more, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups stock and tomatoes and break up tomatoes with a spoon. Adjust seasonings, reduce 12 to 15 minutes and serve over polenta.

While sauce cooks bring remaining stock and milk up to a boil and whisk in polenta and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, a little salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons butter and parsley.

Scoop thickened polenta into shallow bowls and top with liberal amounts of ragu. Pass extra cheese at the table.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 320
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I have had this before and I can say it taste amazing. My children love it.
    PICTURE (optional): I have a picture of it but it won't let me post
  • inskydiamonds
    HCS - if you give me the link for the picture I can post it for you :)
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    So I used Turkey Kielbasa for this recipe - but the original called for turkey sausage, and you could cook it with ground turkey or shredded turkey or whatever. I don't know if this counts as a Turkey recipe??? Can I play??? :smile: The original recipe was from this website: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwestern_stuffed_acorn_squash.html. I used kielbasa instead of sausage, the whole bell pepper, and more spices than the original.

NAME OF RECIPE: Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 acorn squash, (3/4-1 pound each)
    * 5 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into bite size pieces
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 red bell pepper,chopped
    * 1 clove garlic, minced
    * chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and salt to taste
    * 1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes
    * 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed
    * shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
    2. Cut squash in half horizontally. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place the squash cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
    4. Add kielbasa, onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
    5. Stir in garlic, chili powder, salt and cumin; cook for 30 seconds.
    6. Stir in tomatoes and beans.
    7. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the tomatoes are broken down, 10 to 12 minutes, or until acorn squash are tender.
    8. When the squash are tender, reduce oven temperature to 325°. Fill the squash halves with the turkey mixture. Top with cheese. Place on the baking sheet and bake until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Calories: 285 Carbs: 52 Fat: 6 Protein: 15 Vitamin C: 80 Fiber: 13

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:

This was DELICIOUS!! The stuffing was essentially a chili, which I always used ground meat for, so the kielbasa was a nice change. It was super hearty and mixed very well with the acorn squash, which was so tender I could've eaten it with a spoon. It's great comfort food for a cold night. I only baked one acorn squash because I'm just cooking for one and 6 of them would've been WAY too much. But I made 6 servings of the chili stuffing and can't wait for leftovers :bigsmile:

PICTURE (optional):

CIMG4392.JPG
  • inskydiamonds
    So I used Turkey Kielbasa for this recipe - but the original called for turkey sausage, and you could cook it with ground turkey or shredded turkey or whatever. I don't know if this counts as a Turkey recipe??? Can I play??? :smile: The original recipe was from this website: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwestern_stuffed_acorn_squash.html. I used kielbasa instead of sausage, the whole bell pepper, and more spices than the original.

Definitely counts :)
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    White Turkey Chili for Crock Pot

1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ground cayenne pepper to taste
    ground white pepper to taste
    3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
    5 cups chicken broth

Calories: 281

Directions: Brown turkey in pan sprayed with Pam or Misted with Olive oil. Drain Turkey and add to slow cooker with all ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serves 8 people

Tastes soooooo yummy! Has a kick to it but you can eliminated the chiles or use mild to adjust to your liking. I froze the leftovers for lunches in small plastic containers for a pre-measured home cooked meal.
    Enjoy!
  • inskydiamonds
    NAME OF RECIPE: Turkey Chili (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/turkey_chili/)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
    1 15 oz can kidney beans
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tbsp cumin powder
    1/2 tbsp dried red chili flakes
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 cups cooked turkey
    1/2 tsp sugar

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a large pot heat the oil and cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper until the onion is brown. Add the cumin, chili powder, and red chili flakes and cook for 2 more minutes.

2. Stir in the kidney beans, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano, salt, turkey, and sugar. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for an hour.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 331 calories, 1209 milligrams sodium

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I used stewed tomatoes as opposed to crushed tomatoes because that's what I had on hand. If I were to make this again I would definitely make sure to get them crushed because the one thing I didn't like was the tomato chunks. The flavor however was spot on.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_4061.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Make sure you get all those turkey recipes in today! At 5PM PST the voting will go up as will the next challenge!
  • meagalayne
    Mmmm I love turkey chili and both those recipes sound awesome :bigsmile:
  • inskydiamonds
    It's voting time for the turkey challenge! Go here to vote: http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
    Voting will close Wednesday December 8th at 5PM PST.
  • Crap I missed it.
  • inskydiamonds
    Crap I missed it.

Oh no! Well, hopefully you like the next one :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139257-cooking-challenge-apple Apples!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    It's voting time for the turkey challenge! Go here to vote: http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
    Voting will close Wednesday December 8th at 5PM PST.

Help a newbie please? typed in all you put for voting connection but do not see where to vote ...did find scribbld.com when did not put in rest of stuff... not tech savy. Need baby \ steps to do computer things.:ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.