Stress eating d/t my kids!

Options
Hi Everyone!

So I'm not new to this site, however I am back for hopefully my last and successful attempt at it! I previously wrote about having thyroid problems and that alone tends to affect stress levels and emotions. Well I have been a total wreck for a few months now but have been able to avoid the binging due to stress. However, the past few days have been awful and I caved two days in a row to the pretty bag of M&Ms my husband has lurking around just to feel better. My 3 1/2 year old has been so naughty all week and even regressed back into diapers, which he has been out of for a year. He gets so worked up and out of control that I don't know what to do. Half the time he ends up in his room, and today that lead to the vacuum being pushed down the stairs. In the meantime, I'm trying to take care of my 9 month old. So anyways, how do you guys avoid the stress eating?! I made sure to stay under my calories despite my 500 calories worth of M&Ms, but I know it could have been worse. I'm also open to any parental advice or comments to let me know you have been there and that it will pass!

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    that's a tough one and I feel for you. I'm a single mom w/ 2 kids. One is 5 and the other will be 2 in a couple months. My saving grace right now is the gym. I splurged on a gym membership for myself and I ask my mom to come watch the kids after dinner so that I can get out of the house for an hour or so and spend some time alone, working on ME.

it's super important to make time for yourself; even if it's just a long hot shower with the bathroom door locked or a walk around the block.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he has been reacting to the new baby and being bad - revertng back so he can get your attention. They don't know the difference between angry attention and loving attention - they just want your full undivided attention. See if you can have some Mommy and son time - just for him. It's hard to reason with a 3 1/2 yr old. I feel for you - it is so hard to parent. Stay strong - you can do this. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day. Good luck!
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It will pass, believe me! When my son was 4 he would get into stuff every Friday morning, to the point we ended up putting a lock on his door. We thought it would keep him out of dangerous situations, but he found a lighter the night before, hid it, and then pretending his bed was a birthday cake, lit his room on fire. He, and his 2 year old sister got out fine, but what a nightmare! He is going to be 25 in March, and never did anything that extreme again. Keeps the heartrate up...
    If you have a favorite healthy snack, keep that in easy access packs. That way when you are looking for something quick, there's no excuse for hubby's stuff.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Prepare healthy snacks in advance so they are ready and easy to grab. I save 300-400 calories for night time when I am most likely to let sttress get to me. I also do a chocolate day once a week so I dont feel deprived. Chocolate cheerios start the day and I have my favorite candybar that night. I think planning is the difference between being successful and faililng. Good luck. My kids are grown, but we certainly had our moments. Eventually even the most trying moments you can look back and laugh about.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    First throw the damn m&m's out of the house and throw them FAR!! I would say the baby is the reason for your son's sudden regression. Afterall look at all the attention the baby gets when he or she soils a diaper. Giving him TOO MUCH attention even negative attention about him wetting and pooping on himself is exactly what he is after so don't do that, just find a way to give him some big boy attention every hour or so that only a big boy can get not babies. Maybe a five minute "move with mommy" time where you can burn a few calories and he is getting the attention he wants and he see's is intentional and just for him. No babies allowed to that party!! Good Luck now get rid of those m&ms!!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    lol 4lafz beat me to it!! Great minds right!?! :bigsmile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    exercise helps me when I`m stressed.try to eat healthy snacks.keep junk out of the house if possible you don`t go to it.
    Sounds like you have your hand full.do you get a break to do something you like to do?
    Good luck!!
    jane
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me from stress eating the wrong foods, is not having them in the house....I'm in a single mom position my kids are 12 years old and 2 1/2 . My 12 year old is pretty good...my two year old on the other hand, if she had been first I would have tied my tubes (j/k) I love my girls but they are certainly a stressful handful.
    When the weather is good I take them to the park. And maybe after the baby is in bed, you can spend some special time with the oldest, reading a book ect. I have morning time with my youngest and after she is in bed I spend some times alone with my oldest. So they both are getting attention. I get a break from them, only b/c I work, I wish I could go tot a gym or walk but I can't find a babysitter for any alone time.

See if you can get someone to take some of the stress off by watching hte kids for you for even 30 minutes a day so you can just chill, exercise, sleep whatever.