Replies

• aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Deja vu!
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm calorie counting to learn about food as fuel. I saw that when I thought I was eating healthy I wasn't. I was consuming too much, not portioning right, or focusing in the wrong area of nutrition. I have a lifetime of bad habits to break and a long journey ahead of me (trying to lose 120 lbs). Having to document everything I eat holds me accountable. I can see on "paper" where I went wrong and what I did right. I catch myself saying "do you want to have a record of eating that when you're trying to lose weight?" It's stopped me on more than one occasion. I've splurged a couple times, but I had the math to try and counter act that splurge with other meals and exercise. So until I feel like I understand my body and food and how to eat wisely, I'm going to calorie count. Someday I'll be able to do it instinctively, but I'm not there yet.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ever since I changed to eating high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs, I find that I am not hungry and eat less. I still track what I eat, not so much for the calories, but as a way to see what is working and not working. I do try to keep my carbs below 50 grams, so MFP helps me do that. I always say "do what works best for you", and the results will be inevitable.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    But based on changes I made in my diet and the weight I've lost that got me to my goal weight
    ORLY? Because your account says you joined July 2014, so you've been here 30 days max. How do you know your plan works? how have you lost weight that has gotten to your goal weight? 4 weeks = not long enough to see results without knowing how much is water weight and how much is maintaining a lower weight.

Also, you've gotten to your goal weight? Oh? Because your profile says you've lose zero of 20 lbs.

Add that with the suspiciously similar profile other users noticed... the other user who is angry that people here do "calories in, calories out."

Every single post is "A calorie is not a calorie!" trolling: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/70635915
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're eating fewer calories than you're burning, whether you count them or not. If you're willing to give up all the things you've given up and you can stay consistent, there's no reason that your approach to CICO can't work.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    However, just because I didn't actually do the math and count calories, doesn't mean calories don't count. You still have to be in a deficit to lose.

Exactly. I don't count calories, but I believe in CICO 100%. I don't count because I'm good at staying in a deficit without it, not because it doesn't work.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Not everyone on MFP counts calories :blushing:

^^ This. Tracking my eating, regardless of calories helps me keep life in check. I lose track of what I've shoved down my gullet! I also watch my MACROS to make sure I am eating a well-balanced diet

Looking at your solution to weight loss, it looks an awful like what naturally happens is someone is monitoring their intake (via calories or macros tracking). Obviously you just don't need to keep track on paper (or computer, as it were) in order to stay on track. Most of us do, thus our delightful existence on MFP.

Good luck to you.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    Why are you here then? It's a calorie counting website... the main premise is to have a place to... count calories.

NO it's not just a calorie counting website. It's called My FITNESS Pal, not my Calorie Counting Pal
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's cool. If you've found something that works for you, and you enjoy it, stick with it.

Calorie counting isn't necessary for weight loss, but for many of us, it's a great tool that helps us reach our goals in the most efficient way. It's not for everyone - it does take some practice and a little bit of time. I enjoy being able to look at the numbers every day and see what kind of fuel and nutrition I'm giving my body, and I like learning how to meet my goals while eating all the foods I like. It's become a part of my normal daily routine, much like using the bathroom or brushing my teeth. It's just something I do.

But the only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit, and there are many ways to achieve that. If your plan allows you to reach your goals successfully, good for you.:smile:

+1
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely the same poster from yesterday, but this post is not nearly as exciting as the previous incarnation of his " a calorie is not a calorie thread".
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dr. Peter Attia discussed "Do calories matter?" on his blog The Eating Academy. Here is the link:

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... suspiciously similar to something yesterday (profile as well as topic). But I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

Man, I got the same vibe too and I didn't even look at the profiles until someone else mentioned it!

As for calorie counting.... calorie counting is one of the MAIN features of this site. If you don't want to use it, fine, but don't knock it. It's worked fantastically for alot of people, for many different reasons (not all to lose weight).

I 100% believe in calories in, calories out. Does that mean some foods are more filling than others? Absolutely. But in terms of weight (loss, gain, maintenance), calories are what matter. Doesn't mean macros aren't important too, but calories kind of trump everything else in the weight department.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Why are you here then? It's a calorie counting website... the main premise is to have a place to... count calories.

NO it's not just a calorie counting website. It's called My FITNESS Pal, not my Calorie Counting Pal

It is not just a calorie counting site but the basic premise is.

MyFitnessPal
    www.myfitnesspal.com/
    Over 65 million people have lost weight with MyFitnessPal's FREE calorie counter. Get free access to the world's largest ...

The app description also describes it as the "fastest and easiest to use calorie counter" and is listed as a calorie and dietary tracker.

ETA - I don't always count calorie either and still use the app/site
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Have you ever read the log in page?

"Lose Weight with MyFitnessPal The fastest, easiest to use calorie counter app."
    "Over 65 million people have lost weight with MyFitnessPal's FREE calorie counter"
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options

"Lose Weight with MyFitnessPal The fastest, easiest to use calorie counter app."
    "Over 65 million people have lost weight with MyFitnessPal's FREE calorie counter"

Well i do log in every day, so yeah i've seen it. thanks for copying and pasting that text. It's not the only thing to do here, that's all i was saying. No need to get butt hurt over it
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Well i do log in every day, so yeah i've seen it. thanks for copying and pasting that text. It's not the only thing to do here, that's all i was saying. No need to get butt hurt over it

lol
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Good for you. There are many many people who have lost weight and kept it off just by practicing proper portioning and making intelligent decisions on food choice. You can get fat off eating anything, but if you incorporate more veggies into your diet it's hard to over eat broccoli (I dare anyone to try to eat 1,000 cal of broc), it's easy to over eat a pizza or cake.

Oh my god. You would either be living in the bathroom, or so constipated that people would ask when you're due.

Anyway. This is all pretty much what I do. Except, that I log it at the end of the day. I try not to count calories during the day. Trying to get away from it, as it just makes me obsessive. I find that when I don't, the numbers still come out at around maintenance, anyway. If they come out lower, I just eat a pack of peanuts or a candy bar or something.

You can use it to count calories (obviously, that was the original intention) but many of us use it for other purposes, too.

Early in my ED recovery, I used it to make sure I was getting enough protein (although I still - to this day - struggle with that due to not liking meat much), iron, vitamins, and calcium.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Are you counting calories here in the forums? No? Think about the implications of that for a few minutes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Are you counting calories here in the forums? No? Think about the implications of that for a few minutes.

No but I wouldn't be surprised to find that most people here do or believe in CICO and promote it in the forums. And it wouldn't upset me

(My response about counting calories is strictly based on the Op's likely history)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

No but I wouldn't be surprised to find that most people here do or believe in CICO and promote it in the forums. And it wouldn't upset me

(My response about counting calories is strictly based on the Op's likely history)
    Oh, definitely. But that doesn't rule out additional reasons for using the site or handling CICO in a less explicit manner. I don't think handling calorie intake in a non-counting way means MFP is useless, or off-limits, even if the overwhelming majority of users count calories.