BMR/TDEE Calculations

Options
I have gone to the online calculators and determined that my BMR is right about 1379. I am trying to figure out how many calories I should be consuming to lose 1/2-1 lb a week.

- I work a desk job all day, five days a week, so the sedentary calculation puts me at 1654 calories per day to maintain (if I am reading everything correctly and doing the BMR x 1.2).
- I run three days a week, with two being a calorie burn based on my heart rate monitor of between 450-600 calories depending on whether it's an easy run, a hilly run, strides, speed work, etc. My third run each week is a long run, which right now burns about 800 calories but when my miles increase (training for another marathon) I have historically seen calorie burns in excess of 1800 calories.
- I strength train twice a week at a calorie burn of 200-250 calories
- I do yoga once a week at about 200+ calories a class
- My elliptical and bike cardio burns about 250-350 calories each 30 minute session (all of which is based on my hear rate monitor which was calibrated using a VO2max and lactate threshold test)

I am active doing at least one workout each day, but almost every weekday I am doing two workouts, one at lunch and one at night. Because the calorie burn daily fluctuates sometime pretty significantly, I didn't want to do the calculation for 3-5x per week (BMR x 1.55).

Would it be more appropriate to do the sedentary burn rate and then add in calories I burn and then subtract 500 calories, or should I be doing this differently? I've gained and lost the same pound for eight months. I eat fairly clean, no sodas, no alcohol, no cupcakes (goodness, how I want a dang cupcake!!). I'm ready to throw in the towel and just be classified as "overweight" for the rest of my life.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had been using the TDEE calculator at iifym.com, following the TDEE-20% method. I just switched, though. My BMR is around 1500 so on my rest day I multiply it by 1.2 for 1800 calories) and then on my workout days I multiply it by 1.4 (2100 calories.) I got the 1.2 and 1.4 from the book New Rules of Lifting for Women (they are what was listed for women ages 35+.) I log my exercise in MFP but change the calories to 300 every day I workout. So I might have a run listed but instead of leaving whatever number RunDouble sends over, I just overwrite it to 300.

It sounds like you run quite a bit plus you workout twice a day so I would say go ahead and use the 1.55 multiple.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Let's just keep it simple.

(These are all estimates, you have to pick something and stick with it for 6-8 weeks, and then reassess)

BMR: 1380
    TDEE avg w/exercise: 2150

You could (1) eat 1650 total every day. And just eat as close to that on average every day for a couple months. Or
    (2) NET 1400 every day (and only "eat back" something like 75% of your exercise calories you log)

As long as you eat less than 2150 every day for the two months, you *should* lose weight. But just pick one of the above options. Try it as consistently and accurately as possible for 6-8 weeks. Then reassess based on results and how you feel.