Why do you like running?

Options
I started running in January, and only really started to love it in the past month. My boyfriend bet me dinner out (on him, of course) if I could run 5k without stopping by August first, and last night I ran 6k just to 1-up him :)

I love it as a means of exploring, getting out into nature, and feeling my muscles working from sprinting up hills (anyone else feel compelled to sprint up and down hills?!). I just moved outside from the treadmill in the past few weeks and it's the best decision I've ever made.

I'm hoping people will share why they love running maybe to get others motivated!? Seriously! NOTHING compares to that runners high when you push yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of.

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm loving it as I didn't think I could and after running my first fill 5K this morning (completed the C25K training app) I realized how much I just love it and realized that I CAN do it!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through the Couch to 5K. Today is my first day of running 20 minutes straight.

OMG I'm freaking out.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    because streaking feels like freedom
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k and am just on week 3 day2 today. I love it so far and amazed that I could really go for 2.5 minutes. I have never been a runner and as far as exercise goes I have only loved biking outdoors but I really love doing this. Hoping I can enter a 5k race as it is one of my personal goals. I cannot wait to see what I can do in the weeks to come!
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k and am just on week 3 day2 today. I love it so far and amazed that I could really go for 2.5 minutes. I have never been a runner and as far as exercise goes I have only loved biking outdoors but I really love doing this. Hoping I can enter a 5k race as it is one of my personal goals. I cannot wait to see what I can do in the weeks to come!

Mine too! I'm entering a 5k in October and hoping to do a triathlon in a year! Good luck to you!:)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I hate stairs and hills, so I feel compelled to jog up them to get them over with faster lol. I always love having completed a run, but I admit I don't like it while I'm doing it as much as I like some other things. I also have desires to run when I'm bored though, oddly enough...
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    it's my alone time, it's my time to think and reflect, I feel freeeeee
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    It's exhilarating to finish a run.
    It's my ME time.

I never noticed how much of a stress-reliever it was until I had to stop for awhile due to injury. For 2 weeks I felt like I was about to snap and was constantly on the verge of tears. Running is apparently my thing.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through the Couch to 5K. Today is my first day of running 20 minutes straight.

OMG I'm freaking out.

Don't freak out, YOU CAN DO IT!! I felt the same way and remember thinking "Um, WTF? There's no way this is right..." but I did it :) And so will you!
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I'm on Week 3 Day 3 today!!!!! :) I am AMAZED at the fact that I'm actually running haha!! It's GREAT!!!! :):drinker:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I like the challenge of adding distance and working on speed. Its time I get to myself and a great way to explore the outdoors.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like it best early in the morning before the sun comes up. I get my thoughts in order, listen to music and watch the city start to wake up. Then at mile three I really start thinking "oh yeah, I am feeling great"
  • foofyq
    foofyq Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it's the best "me" time. I've started listening to podcasts during my run which is fun. Yes to sprinting up hills! So fun.
    I'm moving this weekend and the biggest thing is I'll get to explore new running routes. A bit sad to leave my old paths behind though...
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i love besting my own times and constantly pushing myself a little harder. not to mention zombies, run! is the most addicting fitness app i've ever had.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Because it gives me more calories to eat bacon with.
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    it's the best "me" time. I've started listening to podcasts during my run which is fun. Yes to sprinting up hills! So fun.
    I'm moving this weekend and the biggest thing is I'll get to explore new running routes. A bit sad to leave my old paths behind though...

I'm moving in the fall! So excited to explore a new city:)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    because streaking feels like freedom

i need a running buddy and you seem perfect.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know why I love to run. I am a beginner at running but I feel SOOO much better after a good run. Yesterday I opted out of the elliptical warm up and just went for it on the treadmill. Although I couldn't make the whole 4 mile goal (I had to stop at 3.5), the workout was amazing. Hopefully by October I can run consistently without having to stop and walk.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I don't like it. I struggle the entire time, every time I go out. However, I like what it does for my legs/butt. And the fact that it gives me more calories so that I can have ice cream at the end of the day. There are other exercises that'll give me more calories, but none of them do what running does for my shape. So...I deal with it. And try to get better....
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It's cathartic.

I take out my anger/annoyance/sadness on the road.
    I feel better after.