Walking and Shopping question

redefiningmyself
redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Well, tis the season, and so I have a marathon shopping day coming up - 12 hours straight with a couple of friends. Its kinda our way of kicking off the holiday season together. Anyway, since I normally sit at a desk job, I want to log part of that as exercise that day. I see on some people's profiles they have "walking and shopping" listed under exercise, but I can't find it on the drop down box. Can you explain to me how this works, and how to enter it?

thank you! :)

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    walking, slow pace-have fun!
  • I'd also check to see if your cell phone has a pedometer/calorie tracker on it. I have a Droid and the app I used for trick or treating with my nephew is called Cardio Trainer. I don't know how accurate it is, but based on the calories it said I lost by walking, I was able to have chili and a couple cookies that night and still lost weight. Have fun!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    They enter it under My Exercises and Create an Exercise. When you have a heart rate monitor you can see how many calories you burn and enter them more precisely
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    I'd also check to see if your cell phone has a pedometer/calorie tracker on it. I have a Droid and the app I used for trick or treating with my nephew is called Cardio Trainer. I don't know how accurate it is, but based on the calories it said I lost by walking, I was able to have chili and a couple cookies that night and still lost weight. Have fun!

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but: Holy crap! There's an app for that? I need it!! Thanks for the tip. :drinker:
  • When I go shopping and walking I wear my HRM and created my own exercise. I count it all too. I do pause it when I sit which is usually for a lunch break.
  • I use Cardio Trainer when I walk to work and whatnot - I use the GPS walking tracker, so it accurately tracks where you started and where you are now, then works out speed and distance etc. You program your weight into it, so it can work out calories burned... Which is all good :o)

But yeah, I have a desk job, and have set my profile as Sedentary, so when I do extra activity, like weekly shopping or walking to work, I make darn sure I claim it, so I can have that extra biscuit with my coffee at night... And it works...

But since the supermarket and shopping centres are indoors, the GPS doesn't work, so I play it safe and claim that I walked at 2mph for the time I was there... Normally, my speed is 3.5 - 4 mph so I think claiming 2 is erring on the side of caution, but I'd rather undereat my extra calories, than to eat too many...
  • I'd also check to see if your cell phone has a pedometer/calorie tracker on it. I have a Droid and the app I used for trick or treating with my nephew is called Cardio Trainer. I don't know how accurate it is, but based on the calories it said I lost by walking, I was able to have chili and a couple cookies that night and still lost weight. Have fun!

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but: Holy crap! There's an app for that? I need it!! Thanks for the tip. :drinker:

I've used CardioTrainer, then compared it to myfitnesspal's listing of approximate exercises, they're pretty close, so i'd say CardioTrainer is pretty accurate.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Thanks everyone - these are great ideas! I think I have a pedometer somewhere -maybe I can use that.... :)
This discussion has been closed.