My Dr didn't clear me :(

Options
I'm 27 years old and have had knee problems my entire life. I was diagnosed with flat feet when I was young which lead to chondromalacia patella.. That means the cartilage in my knee is not smooth but rather flaking off. I will eventually need surgery to help alleviate some of the pain. I have been told the only exercises I can do are low impact. No running, squatting, jumping or other actives that put a lot of strain on my knees.

My question is for anyone who has any suggestions for activities that could help strengthen the muscles in my legs. My doctor said this could help along with losing weight. Apparently for every 1 pound on the body is like 5 pounds on your knees. Swimming is not an option because I don't have the money to belong to that kind of gym :(

I've always wanted to run a 5k and I'm scared my dream will not be possible. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Swimming would be good as the water will support your body and you get a good work out swimming :-)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What about biking? And dancing? I know oriental dance (belly dance) is low impact, I'm sure there are other styles that are as well!
  • Melissface
    Melissface Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love to swim laps. I could swim for hours, but unfortunately all the gyms around where I live that have pools are really expensive. I just bought a house and don't have that kind of money right now!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your budget is, but I only pay a $50/yearly fee and $29.00/month at my local 24-Hour Fitness Gym and it has a pool. Do you have a YMCA in your neighborhood? I understand their fees are pretty reasonable.

I have heard (but you should research this to make sure) that the recumbent bicycle might be good for knee issues. Or maybe the elliptical?

Good luck! It's frustrating when the mind is willing, but the body isn't!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Pilates maybe? Blogilates.com has great videos for free online
  • Melissface
    Options
    I also used to do Zumba but it hurt my knees more than it was helping.. I'll have to look into belly dancing!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My knees are shot, I had surgery to remove part of my meniscus

I swim. I started last January. There is not as much strain on your joints. I get a great workout swimming laps. Some folks swear by aquafit.

Check with the doctor of course. :)

Good luck!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yoga and pilates are also good and low impact. You can try the elliptical and see how that does with your knees as it is also low impact.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry swimming can't be an option, because it is the best one for joints. :brokenheart:
    I'd say check out some workouts that involve trampolines. Also- low impact workouts like walking uphill at a moderate pase on the treadmill or stair climber machine. Stay away from anything that involves jumping around (even jumping jacks).
  • Melissface
    Options
    I don't know what your budget is, but I only pay a $50/yearly fee and $29.00/month at my local 24-Hour Fitness Gym and it has a pool. Do you have a YMCA in your neighborhood? I understand their fees are pretty reasonable.

I have heard (but you should research this to make sure) that the recumbent bicycle might be good for knee issues. Or maybe the elliptical?

Good luck! It's frustrating when the mind is willing, but the body isn't!

The YMCA near me is $50 a month..
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought a used elliptical for $70 and it works my legs great. Biking is good too. You could also check out pools at community centers, it's cheaper than a gym and sometimes free!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    There are tons of things you can do!

Walking
    Biking
    Hiking (yes it is walking, but it's walking with a view!)
    Pilates
    Dancing (belly, salsa, heck use your game console and do some DDR)
    Swimming (I know you can't do pools, but what about lakes, rivers, etc?)
    Strength Training (you can find out from your doc if you can do half squats, or leg presses)
    Yoga
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're lucky.... the only excuse I have to avoid most things is my own laziness....... :glasses:

But on a more serious note - that sucks that you may not be able to follow through with a dream.
    I had picked up an elliptical machine fairly cheaply. Someone told me it was low impact (they lied, it hurt my knees more than anything).

Swimming would be good too if you could afford it.

Something that is free - is yoga. You can get a mat and basic supplies really cheap online and can follow along to any of the videos that are posted on YouTube and elsewhere on the Internet. From what I can gather - there are different intensities so you can always take it up a notch when you want to.
  • Iljkmittaa
    Iljkmittaa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problems, I sincerelly hope you'll be ok and find workouts that suit you. But you could also try http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Barre-Workout-for-Butt-and-Thighs-Workout-for-Lean-Legs-and-Toned-Butt/cn/ or http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Butt-Thigh-No-Squat-Workout-Leg-Workout-Without-Squats-or-Lunges/b6/ I did both rutines and they were great.

In fact, I found the whole fitnessblender site really useful and you can search for all types of workouts there.

In the meantime stay strong and positive!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    People fail at reading that you've said swimming isn't a viable option. Twice...

OP, I had/have patellofermoral syndrome and went to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in my quads to bring my knee caps back wear they're supposed to be. I went to physical therapy because one of the 3 doctors I saw about my painful knees told me "do thigh strengthening exercises", when I asked him what to do, he told me "you can google them. no squats"
    I'm not saying physical therapy is an option for you since you have like no cartilage and you can't really fix that. But a second opinion and legitmate advice from a doctor - preferably an orthopaedic doctor who specializes in knees.

I ended up using a horizontal leg press: http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/51711796/Leg_Press.jpg
    Plus bosu squats, crab walks, monster walks, and a whole host of other exercises to strengthen those muscles.
  • Melissface
    Options
    I never canceled my planet fitness membership when I moved (just hadn't gotten around to it :ohwell: ).. I'm thinking about transferring it to a location closer to my new house. I know they have the machines that a lot of you have mentioned.. I'll go research transferring it now!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I quit running years ago due to repeated injuries. i have done a lot of low impact cardio since.

Skating (ice or inline), rowing, rowing machine, bicycle, stationary bike, elliptical, walking, walking on an incline on the treadmill, stair ergometer, low impact aerobics classes, step aerobic classes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What about biking? And dancing? I know oriental dance (belly dance) is low impact, I'm sure there are other styles that are as well!

if you think belly dance is low impact- you're doing it wrong.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my knees you do. I find that if I build up with walking, I can run without excessive pain, so don't give up! There is hope.

Fitness games are great. Like, Wii Fit or Dance Dance Revolution, or Zumba, that kind of thing.

I took ballet for a year or so and it really made a difference with my knees. It hurt a LOT at first but after a few weeks the pain went away, and I guess it strengthened the muscles or something, but by the time I quit, my knees felt a lot better in general.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA in your neighborhood? I understand their fees are pretty reasonable.

Really?? I've been looking at gym prices & honestly LifeTime Fitness is cheaper than the YMCA here - and a heck of a lot nicer.